Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cushings

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Right, i took Oz to the vets this morning. He just isnt right, and wouldnt settle at all last night. He looks very pot bellied (hes wormed fully up to date) and is panting a lot, and drinking gallons.
    He's had some bloods taken to test liver and kindey function. My vet thinks he is showing the classic signs of cushings. If certain liver emzymes are raised, then he will have a ACTH stimulation test.

Now i know what it is, and what causes it, but does anyone here have a dog, or have had one, with it that could tell me what the long term prognosis is, and how it may affect quality of life etc? My vet started waffling on about chemotherapy drugs, which just made my heart sink.

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear that:(. Not dog's but my friend had a horse with it a few yr's back

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I cant believe one small dog can have so many things wrong with him :(

4. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

My dog developed cushings as a result of steroids she was on for inflammatory bowel disease that we couldn't wean her off.

From the time she started showing symptoms she lived for three more years. It was quite hard to separate signs of old age and the cushings because she went on the drugs at 16 years old. She did get progressively worse, lost her hair, her muscles wasted quite considerably and she did start suffering from a lot of infections (immunocomprised) but again- all those things could be getting old as much as anything else. In spite of all these issues she still had a good quality of life and was able to walk a mile up until a few weeks before her death. Obviously the cause of it will determine what you do next but don't give up hope!

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have never hard of it before but i hope your baby gets well soon x

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My boy is 11, and to people that dont know him, appears perfectly healthy and very active.

Tumours of the pituitary and adrenal glands were mentioned, but my vet likes to reel off so much info at one time. Dont know for sure if he has it.

3 years sounds good,. Oz wouldnt cope with muscle wastage i dont think. But like you said, it depends on what is causing it.

Thanks. He seems happy enough, it could just be me being paranoid.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

aww bless him

Hope he gets well soon, vets can scare the living day lights of you cant they when they real off like 20 different things.x

8. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hi
    I have seen many dogs in practice treated for cushings - they are usually treated with a drug called Vetoryl and they cope extremely well for many years.:)

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

We've just dealt a bit with the pot bellied appearance. He's just passed the biggest load of mustard coloured diarrheoa ive ever seen. He looks a tad thinner now.

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the possibility of cushings. Your brain must be in overdrive. One of my vets gets medical verbal diarrheoa, bless him, so I have to go in with a list of 'what ifs' and 'then what' type questions to get the info I need.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get the all clear, hopefully getting that yucky mustard stuff out will have helped

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vet rang an hour ago. His urea level is slightly raised but still within normal ranges, and is linked to his heart prob.

Apart from that, he has a clean bill of health. No infection, no parasites, liver and kidneys are in great shape.

He just needed a good poo, the rest is all in my head :D

12. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Yeah!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great news

You've probably been watching him so much, he's been too embarrassed to do a poo!! :D

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The vet had a good old squeeze of his belly, i think he mushed his guts up a bit.

Im so relieved, i dont think i could cope with him having yet another problem.

14. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Woohoo fabby news :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice