Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cushings!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by madcow, Apr 2, 2011.

1. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

My poor baby has been through a lot lately. Last November she was spayed. Two weeks after she had a mamory strip due to breast cancer. This had complications of its own. Would would not heal so it had to be dressed as an open wound.

Her hair has not grown back she has become very slow, drinks heavily and had a pot belly.

Took her back to vets for her booster on Wednesday and mentioned all this to vet. Now they think she has Cushings disease :cryin:
    Back in again on Tuesday for the day for bloods etc. This is why they think her hair has not returned now etc.

Has anyone else on here have a dog with Cushings. I have never heard of it! Oh please I do hope she will be ok. :blink:

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

simplified version of cushings is, The body produces and needs something called cortisol. The pituitary gland produces a hormone to tell the adrenal glands that are located near to kidneys to produce this cortisol that is natural and needed for the body to function. In Cushings, the adrenals produce too much of the cortisol, giving symptoms some of which is what you describe. It can be caused either by the pituitary gland, or the adrenal glands themselves. In the test they will measure the cortisol in the body, then inject a synthetic amount of the cortisol, then take another blood test to see how the body copes and what the levels are post injection. Depending on the levels produced, and how the body reacts, they can then tell if the dog has cushings or not.

Cusings can be controlled by giving a life long medication, that will supress the overproduction of the cortisol. I dont think that it can be cured completely, but the medication will control and manage it. Usually dogs do well on the medication.

If the test proves negative, Hypo Thyrodism can also cause almost the same symptoms. Weight gain lethargy, skin taking a long time to heal after an operation, and hair not growing back. One of my dogs is hypo thyroid, which was discovered after she had an op, hers took a long time to heal and the fur didnt grow back where they shaved her. That too is diagnosed with a thyroid function blood test. In this case the Thyroid gland doesnt produce enough of the thyroid hormone. Again you have to have life long meds in the form of a synthetic throxine replacement.

Should it be either the cushings or hypo thyroid, both are controlled succesfully usually, It does mean life long meds, and regular blood tests to check the levels/meds are sufficient or not too much, but in both cases dogs usually do well.

3. perki888

perki888 PetForums Junior

My Schnauzer was diagnosed with cushings about four weeks ago.

She is now on Voltarol, which my understanding is the only drug used in Uk - but could be wrong on that. My vet has told me that most dogs react really well to this and it helps stabilse the condition. This should reduce her thirst, and hopefuly reeduce her weight as well.

Saying that Pipers hair has started to fall out in the last 10 days, which is a new development.

Diabetes is linked to cushings also and they should test for this and various other things. They may also do a 'stem' (i think) test which tells what levels the cortizone is.

The drug company Voltarol has a web page which gives some good info. Best thing though is to ask your vet loads of questions... I have written them down before I went in so I did not forget anything.

My vet has only got three dogs (piper being one) that has cushings syndrom so it is not that common.

Let me know how you get on please x

4. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

Many thanks for your replys. I am so worried if she is diagnosed with this that it has gone further on than beyond help due to her have breast cancer operation in November and us being nieve in thinking she was still recovering.
    Her belly is very distended. I even got asked whether she was having pups :(
    She drinks loads. She has started to scavinge for food. Taking her out on a walk is an imposiblity. She starts off all excited but after 5 mins she is lagging and walking like an old maid. (she is only 8) Plus occationally we were finding one of the animals had had an accident over night near the front door. (deffo not cats as that humps)
    So looking forward to tomorrow when she goes in for the day. She has been through so much lately bless her. :rolleyes::

5. Steff

Steff PetForums Junior

Someone i know had a dog with suspected cushings, i found this site for him to read (apologises if your not allowed to show links) Cushings Disease Information but we found it very helpful.

6. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

This link was exceedingly helpful thankyou very much. Can't understand why you cannot really post helpful links like you have done.
    Today is the day Sally goes in. Will be back later with the results.

Last night little madam was a nightmare. We went out pm and came home to find she had raided my large box of Milk tray I had for mothers day. Rang vets who said she might be a bit ill. This was an understatement. Sick :cryin: every where.

On a starvation fromlast night from today. Madam goes in the garden to eat the one we did earlier that we were unaware of :nono:. Of joy

7. Road_Hog

Road_Hog PetForums Member

These are classic signs of Cushings and I'd bet a pound to a penny that that will be the diagnosis. It really does drag them under the weather, being constantly thirsty and hungry, and then costantly needed to go for a wee and all the time in discomfort.

If it is the case (which I hope it isn't), then I hope the drugs work, they worked partially for my dog, but he was never the same again. The drugs seem to work well to begin with, but then it was as if he became immune to them to a certain extent.

8. madcow

madcow PetForums Junior

Vets rang today with what we expected. She has Cushings. They said I could have an MRI done or a scan to properly confirm.
    Going to start tablets Saturday as this is only when I can collect them.
    Here's hoping they help!! :blink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice