UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the packaging of Kongs (classic/original), it clearly states ... "IMPORTANT! Supervised use only"

So, why are Kongs the first thing we decide to leave our dogs alone with unsupervised for hours on end when we are not even remotely near the house, never mind the dog and their Kong :confused: :p

Are the makers of Kong simply covering their back with this advice on the packaging, or is there some real dire need not to leave your dog unsupervised with a Kong?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
On the packaging of Kongs (classic/original), it clearly states ... "IMPORTANT! Supervised use only"

So, why are Kongs the first thing we decide to leave our dogs alone with unsupervised for hours on end when we are not even remotely near the house, never mind the dog and their Kong :confused: :p

Are the makers of Kong simply covering their back with this advice on the packaging, or is there some real dire need not to leave your dog unsupervised with a Kong?
I'd say that's exactly what they're doing ;)

I guess anything, even Kongs, could be chewed/ripped to small pieces by a very determined chewer and then you've got a choking hazzard :confused: but it's all about weighing up the risk isn't it? There's a risk of choking with pretty much anything so unless you leave your dog in a concrete room with absolutely nothing you have to decide what level of risk you're happy with :)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
There's also been horror stories of people who've left their dog with a kong and as they've been getting the treats out, some food has blocked the little hole at the end forming a vacuum, causing the dogs tongue to get stuck in the kong and swell etc.

I wouldn't leave Oscar with a kong but I would and do leave Scrappy with his because he doesn't suck on it, I've watched him and he chews the outside and rolls it around to let the crunched biccies fall out.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I've never had any issues with kongs, Dan does lick them but they're never frozen...Tummel just throws them around so the food falls out.

Saying that neither of the boys have had a kong for ages :eek:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say that's exactly what they're doing ;)

I guess anything, even Kongs, could be chewed/ripped to small pieces by a very determined chewer and then you've got a choking hazzard :confused: but it's all about weighing up the risk isn't it? There's a risk of choking with pretty much anything so unless you leave your dog in a concrete room with absolutely nothing you have to decide what level of risk you're happy with :)
This is pretty much what I thought, but was just curious to other peoples thoughts.
Sailor gets left unsupervised with a fair few doggy toys/bones, not to mention the whole kitchen and all its contents.
I will now be looking at dog item packaging more (abit care free when it comes to instructions :eek: ), I imagine everything has the same cautionary warning, not to leave dogs unsupervised.

I wouldn't leave either of my dogs with even the strongest Kong.
Muddy has chewed several into small pieces. :eek:
This is one reason why I have never botherd with a Kong for Sailor, his favourte past time is chewing and after his got the food out of the kong, Iimagine next on te list would be to devour the kong itself :rolleyes:

There's also been horror stories of people who've left their dog with a kong and as they've been getting the treats out, some food has blocked the little hole at the end forming a vacuum, causing the dogs tongue to get stuck in the kong and swell etc.

I wouldn't leave Oscar with a kong but I would and do leave Scrappy with his because he doesn't suck on it, I've watched him and he chews the outside and rolls it around to let the crunched biccies fall out.
Of all the things I could think of, I never imagined tongues swelling from being vacumed inside them, crazy!
But it does remind me of when I was little, me and my sister used to suck the air out of our empty pop bottles and get our tongues stuck inside them :lol: We thought it was hilarious!

I've never had any issues with kongs, Dan does lick them but they're never frozen...Tummel just throws them around so the food falls out.

Saying that neither of the boys have had a kong for ages :eek:
Tummel is a genius! but does this leave you with peanut butter splashed everywhere :scared: :lol:

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Tummel is a genius! but does this leave you with peanut butter splashed everywhere :scared: :lol:
He is a genius, we've never given him peanut butter but we gave him honey quite often....you just get sticky bits instead of stains :p

I used to give him frozen kongs but he'd just leave them to defrost and then start throwing them :rolleyes: Worst kong ever was brambles, strawberries and yoghurt on my mums cream carpet :lol: there were big purple blotches for ages!!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm scared to even let ours look at a Kong after Alfie took the skin off his nose with one :scared: He was licking away at it for maybe 20 minutes (supervised) and seemed fine, a little later I noticed above his nose looked a bit sore but didn't look too worrying, the next morning it was covered in little blisters and red and nasty :frown: When we walked into the vet's room he said 'oh he's made friends with a hedgehog has he?' we said 'erm no, he got attacked by a Kong ;) '

All credit to Kong, they paid our vet bill for us but I've never felt confident enough to use them again.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Pippi chewed the top ridge off of hers and it was tiny enough to get lodged in her throat, thankfully it didn't and I threw it away before anything bad could happen.

I wouldn't bother with another one.

·
Still missing my boys
42,320 Posts
This is pretty much what I thought, but was just curious to other peoples thoughts.
Sailor gets left unsupervised with a fair few doggy toys/bones, not to mention the whole kitchen and all its contents.
I will now be looking at dog item packaging more (abit care free when it comes to instructions :eek: ), I imagine everything has the same cautionary warning, not to leave dogs unsupervised.

This is one reason why I have never botherd with a Kong for Sailor, his favourte past time is chewing and after his got the food out of the kong, Iimagine next on te list would be to devour the kong itself :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong. Muddy has had many hours of supervised fun chewing his Kongs, he's just never left alone with one

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I don't leave Charlie alone with a kong. I do leave him with treat toys that you have to roll around to get the food out - like the kong wobbler, or busy buddy.

I suppose he could chew the toy, but he's so focused with getting the food out that he hasn't chewed one yet.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
i only give opie frozen kongs and they do last him quite a while. once the food's gone he loses intrest in them. he does like to throw them around for a few minutes first though to make sure that he hasn't left anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is a genius, we've never given him peanut butter but we gave him honey quite often....you just get sticky bits instead of stains :p

I used to give him frozen kongs but he'd just leave them to defrost and then start throwing them :rolleyes: Worst kong ever was brambles, strawberries and yoghurt on my mums cream carpet :lol: there were big purple blotches for ages!!!
Lovely! But still Tummel sounds like a genius,especially with biding his time for it to defrost so here is less effort involved with ruining carpets :lol: He sounds very effecient!

I'm scared to even let ours look at a Kong after Alfie took the skin off his nose with one :scared: He was licking away at it for maybe 20 minutes (supervised) and seemed fine, a little later I noticed above his nose looked a bit sore but didn't look too worrying, the next morning it was covered in little blisters and red and nasty :frown: When we walked into the vet's room he said 'oh he's made friends with a hedgehog has he?' we said 'erm no, he got attacked by a Kong ;) '

All credit to Kong, they paid our vet bill for us but I've never felt confident enough to use them again.
Sailor has done this a fair few times when trying to get all the marrow out of larger bones. I now stick to smaller bones for him to chew. And likewise with toys, anything he can get his nose into I tend to avoid... I think he just has a wee delicate nose :eek:
I am amazed at how quickly he has rubbed his nose sore in the past.

Pippi chewed the top ridge off of hers and it was tiny enough to get lodged in her throat, thankfully it didn't and I threw it away before anything bad could happen.

I wouldn't bother with another one.
What a delicate chewer Pippi is!
Sailor just tends to bite down and we have large chunks flying everywhere :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. Muddy has had many hours of supervised fun chewing his Kongs, he's just never left alone with one
Sailor is a bugger, even being supervised, he starts to bite down and get his teeth stuck right in. ALtho I imagine like Muddy, he wouldn't beable to get enough time to chew through a tough Kong. Unlike the brand new space lobber today (his fave type of squeaky toy) and 5 minutes into some supervised play he starts to bite down, unfortunately, I was not quick enough and it has lost its squeak :mad2: It still very much intact, just one small puncture hole, but enough to de squeak it.
But still he had an excellent 5 minutes with the lobber and he is still trotting around with it proudly.

I don't leave Charlie alone with a kong. I do leave him with treat toys that you have to roll around to get the food out - like the kong wobbler, or busy buddy.

I suppose he could chew the toy, but he's so focused with getting the food out that he hasn't chewed one yet.
Awww Charlie sounds fab, my naigbours littler terrier has a similar toy... it is just a hard plastic ball with a single hole in it. All I can hear is this hard plastic ball being bashed and rattled around on the concrete path. The terrier looks like he is having loads of fun with it and when ever he looks like he has lost interest, he is never away from it for long before he charges back at it and tries again :D

i only give opie frozen kongs and they do last him quite a while. once the food's gone he loses intrest in them. he does like to throw them around for a few minutes first though to make sure that he hasn't left anything :rolleyes:
Sensible Opie! Always best to double check, especially when food is involved :p

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We don't leave Izzy alone with her original kong as she does stick her tongue right in so I'm a bit worried about her getting it stuck but we do leave her with this style of kong Kong Stuff-a-Ball, Medium: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies we fill the little ridges round the outside and put some kibble in the middle :thumbup:
Sailor has a similar ball, no idea of the make tho. He loves it and once he finishes getting the food out of it, he starts to throw it around and gets giddy with excitement because it is odd shaped and doesn't bounce like his other balls. Oddly enough he never plays with it when it has no food in it, so never uses it as a chew toy.
A very good buy I think and should Sailor somehow destroy this ball (it is a year old now with no bite marks in it!) I might replace it with the Kong version, and your link is showing a good offer so I might have to buy one now ready for when the other one might need replacing!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sailor has a similar ball, no idea of the make tho. He loves it and once he finishes getting the food out of it, he starts to throw it around and gets giddy with excitement because it is odd shaped and doesn't bounce like his other balls. Oddly enough he never plays with it when it has no food in it, so never uses it as a chew toy.
A very good buy I think and should Sailor somehow destroy this ball (it is a year old now with no bite marks in it!) I might replace it with the Kong version, and your link is showing a good offer so I might have to buy one now ready for when the other one might need replacing!
I only chose that link cos it had a good picture to show the ridges on the sides but I'm glad I've found you a bargain:D, maybe we should get another for Izzy if it's a good deal? ;)

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
I leave my two with their kongs (unsupervised) every day & have never had a problem. I did consider the 'risk' but neither of them are chewers (apart from treats/bones) & neither of the kongs show any sign of damage despite being used daily.

Tbh I think it's like everything in life, there may be a risk, you just have to make a judgement

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.