Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Curious about hamster beds

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by FluffyCannibal, Jan 19, 2012.

1. FluffyCannibal

FluffyCannibal PetForums Newbie

When I first got my hamsters (Sparkles II & Jar Jar Binks II, both Chinese Dwarfs), they made their bed in a house in their cage. Then they made a second open-air bed, more like a nest, and alternated between the 2 beds, but always sleeping together. Then I had to separate them, and the one that stayed in the cage they used to share hasn't been in the house since, and the one that went into a new cage instantly made a nest, and has never slept in the house in his cage. I've had hamsters before, but I'm no expert, so is this normal? They're both very happy, friendly & healthy.
    Thanks.

2. Acid

Acid PetForums Member

its completely normal, just preference and where they feel safe enough to sleep although in the case of the hamster living in the original cage there may be lingering smells of the other hamster inside the house which could lead to him thinking that it is the others territory and not to enter (especially if the other was dominant) so just give it a wash with vinegar and stick it back in dry. most likely just preference, house too small to sleep in or heat (too warm to sleep inside their houses) tbh though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice