UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Another ill considered knee jerk reaction. Blimey I really hope not. Do we crush all the cars because someone got badly hurt in an accident?
Exactly ... until this I had NEVER heard of anyone being attacked by a fox.
As for foxes being responsible for ripping open rubbish bags, encouraging rats & flies it could be argued that if councils returned to weekly bin collections there would be less rubbish lying around than there is now.
I feel dreadfully sorry for the family involved in the attack but it is such a rarity that I don't think that this is a major worry.

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
What would we do without hysteria?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I forgot who it is , but is a Tory minister who have said in the campaign he wants to lift the ban against fox hunting ...

ok the twin girls were a rare accident but if now they start to blame fox's and start to hunt them (even in the city) I personally would kick the crap out of who try to do any harm on them in my area

watch out for the fox hunting ban to be lifted up , u will see an increased amount of urban foxes killed .

This thing with the PEST controllers look to much a campaign against foxes is a bloody PREP

·
Banned
290 Posts
Another ill considered knee jerk reaction. Blimey I really hope not. Do we crush all the cars because someone got badly hurt in an accident?
Sorry only got this far on reading the post but so true. It was a very isolated incident but this newspaper article is the sort of reaction that will be the downfall of the foxes sadly.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Typical reaction.:(
Urban foxes are a pain in the butt and not to be encouraged but even the most relaxed urban fox is still a wild animal that would rather avoid you.
My Chihuahua's often find one to chase in the park and when my friend walks the dogs home at midnight she usually passes our neighbourhood fox and in all instances the fox will run! (even the sick one that Adam cornered ran from a dog half its size, albeit with a Chi attached to its bottom!!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Typical reaction.:(
Urban foxes are a pain in the butt and not to be encouraged but even the most relaxed urban fox is still a wild animal that would rather avoid you.
My Chihuahua's often find one to chase in the park and when my friend walks the dogs home at midnight she usually passes our neighbourhood fox and in all instances the fox will run! (even the sick one that Adam cornered ran from a dog half its size, albeit with a Chi attached to its bottom!!):rolleyes:
I think urban foxes want to be near humans because they know we have food. I've had foxes in my garden just sit a few metres away and look straight at me, even if i'm shouting at it.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I think urban foxes want to be near humans because they know we have food. I've had foxes in my garden just sit a few metres away and look straight at me, even if i'm shouting at it.
Get a Chihuahua.
Apparently foxes are terriefied of them!!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
Perhaps they should cull human beings, as we kill and injure more people than any other animal.

Reactions: Jazzy

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Definitely a knee jerk reaction, and a stupid one at that. They need to warn people of the dangers of feeding and trying to tame foxes, at the end of the day they are wild animals. Maybe making bins in urban areas more fox proof.
I don't see how lifting the ban on fox hunting would affect urban foxes, would it not be rural foxes they would be hunting? Can't see people on horseback with hounds entering an urban area to hunt!

Just wanted to throw this idea out there to see what people think. What about a TNR scheme similar to what they do with feral cats? It would reduce the numbers without an actual culling.:confused1:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Surprise surprise....

How about a course in 'how to close the door when leaving vunerable little souls alone'.

If it was a fox --then thats why it happened....it is sad and tragic mistake.

Pretty sure the fox doesnt know the art of breaking and entering.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had a feeling this would come about. The vets told my mums next door neighbour that her dog had died from lungworm caused by foxes:confused1:I was lead to believe it was slugs and snails!!! I also looked it up on the internet and it said that rats carry it but no mention of foxes??? Its all to do with the hunting ban. Its gonna be lifted and all these stories will disappear into the dust :D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I heard about this on the lunchtime news and my first reaction was no way! A stupid knee jerk reaction to very rare occurrence imo.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
On the flip side most farmers and people like myself who breed animals and the like find foxes as much of a pest as mice/rats. :confused1: Yes, it is natural for them to hunt but its natural for rats/mice to do it, and no one things twice about killing them.

However, if people take the correct precautions, as with mice/rats they can be avoided. We fox proof our enclosures as much as possible, don't leave the animals in the run past twighlight etc.

And I'd never advocate hunting as a means of keeping the population down. There are more humane ways of killing animals than tearing them to pieces. :mad:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.