Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cuba's finished Counting!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MerlinsMum, Aug 14, 2009.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'm sitting here with a stiff drink, slowly trying to wind down after one of the most harrowing 24 hours of my life!

I posted at about mid-day yesterday that she was starting to breathe fast & shallowly and had a slight discharge. Knowing that stage can go on for hours I didn't peek again for a little while and to my astonishment... No Cuba! :eek:

Not to worry, I thought - don't panic. She's probably nipped out for a wee, though I was a bit puzzled when and how. Surely she couldn't have gone through the fanlight window in her condition? Had she zoomed out when the dog went for a wee? I checked her nursery [not there] looked under the bed [not there] looked all over the flat for her, called in the garden, made the usual squeaky-noise I call her with. I steadfastly refused to panic.

By nightfall I was struggling to stay calm. Worse case scenario, for some reason she might have decided to take herself off and have her kittens in a shed somewhere. There wasn't much I could do but keep going out in the garden to call her, and walk around the side-streets. I left the back door open and went to bed, hoping she'd be back by morning.

Didn't sleep well of course, and was up very early printing off flyers to put through letterboxes. It's all little terraced houses round here and my skinned knuckles testify I delivered around 50 by 10am! How postmen cope with so many carnivorous letter boxes I don't know. Then I printed out a few posters for the telephone poles and lamp-posts. Just kept myself sane by thinking: Nothing I can do 'til she turns up, and I know she will.

At 3pm the little madam came galloping in here screeching she was dying of starvation - and definitely no longer pregnant. I up-ended her and it was clear she'd been nursing kittens, but where??? I locked her in the bedroom, gave her a mega-portion of food and sat back to plan. What to do?

By now the neighbourhood would be on the alert, so I kept her locked in the bedroom until 6pm when people would be home from work, and went knocking door-to-door. People were so kind, all very concerned for me, all said they'd seen my flyer and gone to check their sheds but hadn't found her. In the meantime I found a little red flashing blinker-light, the sort you put on a dog's collar at night, and fixed it to her collar. I figured people would see that and might report back, leading me to where she'd hidden the babies.

I felt her boobs and it was clear she was filling up with milk again and hence more likely to go back to them, and let her out. I sat for ages in the back garden waiting for her to go, just so I knew in which direction she was heading! But she just sat and blinked at me, and I swear she was laughing.

But the fact she was in no hurry to go anywhere made me highly suspicious. I decided to check my own shed again and drew a blank. Then the bedroom - even though it was obvious they wouldn't be there - and the spare room.
    And heard squeaks!!!

There they were, hungry little mites, behind a big stack of cardboard boxes right at the back, in a weeny little nest, in a place I would never have thought to look, as I didn't think a heavily pregnant cat could squeeze through. And of course she must have heard me calling her the whole time but was just Too Busy to bother. No wonder she was laughing!

Six little gorgeous kittens... three White, one Black with white bits, a dark Tortie with white bits, and oh wow... a stunning Blue bi-colour who took my breath away the moment I saw him. I burst into tears when I picked him up.

Happy to say Mum and babies have been moved to her proper nursery in my bedroom and are all tucked up on a soft pink fleece blanky, happy as larry. The bedroom door is locked! Firmly! and the window is closed.

She's in heaven, purring her head off, loves me stroking them while they nurse, doesn't mind me lifting one up to gaze at it in awe.

It's me who's the nervous wreck! :lol:

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

I would have been a physical wreck omg i can't believe that what a maddam at least she is safe and the kitties. Well done to you both i look forward to the pictures

ruth
    xx

3. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh wow Sue! ive got goosebumps reading that! so she was in the whole time lol!!! the little tinker! Please take a picture! I bet you keep that little bluish one! The tabby sounds like the one I want to keep!

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

What day was she on?

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I am very sorry to say that did make me laugh (at the end) :eek: sorry!

On a serious note, i truly feel for you. I would have been a wreck if that was my cat.

I am so glad all has turned well. Can't wait for piccies!!!
    xxx

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'm not entirely sure... as I don't know when she was mated, but more to the point I don't know when they were born! :lol:

Do I plump for yesterday when she vanished, or today as they could have been born any time after midnight? Tuesday was the earliest possible, 63 days after the start of her call.

7. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

OMG! Now THAT is a story!!! Crikey, I would have been a wreck!! :D

She was there the whole time!!...And SIX kittens...FANTASTIC!! :D

Sounds like you've got a really good mix of colours too! :001_wub:

Just going to check my windows and doors to keep Lilly in!! :wink5:

8. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Well I think it sounds like it was last night doesn't it? Right on day 65 what a good girl. I did a pregnancy calculator for cats and they said Amber was due the 23rd August but that makes her day 63, should I really make it 25th August. They can go 3 days before and after thats right isnt it?

#8 kitties, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

One of my girls was always dead on day 65! How are your little stunners doing? x

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

They can indeed, as I'm sure you already know, female cats are "induced ovulators" meaning they don't release any eggs until after the actual mating. This can be a few days later, or straight away, which gives you that few days discrepancy. I'm a bit shocked she had 6 though! That's a lot for a first time moggy girl, but they always say the smaller, longer leaner ones have more. She will be spayed after these and good job too, since cats often have one or two more in subsequent litters. One of my Siamese girls years ago had 6 in her first and 7 in each of her three later litters.

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Haven't peeked at them since they were "rescued" from the spare room earlier, they need peace and quiet to settle in their new nest after being moved. But I am sure there will be some pics tomorrow... I certainly want to be able to stare at the blue & white boy whenever I want to!

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

you are such a good mum, i would keep staring dont think i could keep away

13. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

What a time you must have had - but with a fairytale ending. Congrats on the new furbabies & well done Mum - looking forward to seeing the pictures, especially of your blue & white boy.

14. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Been there ... done that ... nerve wracking isn't it!

Congratulations.

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice