Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cuba's Countdown

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MerlinsMum, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Monday 10th August

May I introduce the luvverly Cuba - my little white moggy, aged 1 year 3 months. She was from a litter born locally, from a family whose cat had just had kittens, so I was invited to see them when they were born and watched them grow up. Mum Ruby was white, and had 4 babies - 3 White and one dark Tortie. I really fell for Ruby as I previously had Siamese & Orientals, and Rubes was much more elegant and 'foreign' in type than most moggies.

Cuba's father was Murray, also owned by the family, a chunky, noble-looking Red Classic tabby with rich sunset swirls. He was neutered just after the kittens were born then sadly disappeared and has never come home. Ruby had another litter later on, which included blue and longhaired kittens but has now been spayed.

Cuba started calling in late April and I could kick myself for not having her spayed earlier! She turned out to be one of these girls who calls every 14 days with no suitable gap for spaying... so new cat owners be warned! (Vets will not spay cats when they are in season).

I had a neighbour coming in to see to Cuba while I was away in June for a few days. My diary notes that she started calling the day before I left, the 9th but I didn't record the day she managed to escape while my neighbour was feeding her (I did warn him!!!). So, although it's unlikely she was mated on the 9th, tomorrow will be Day 63 from the start of her season... the earliest possible day for the happy event. I suspect, though, it will be more towards the end of the week - Sunday is my intuitive guess as that will be exactly 6 weeks after she "pinked up".

I have a large dog crate set up in my bedroom for her nursery, upon which she likes to recline gracefully. She can barely waddle around today. I think she's carrying 4 - I can feel 2 on one side and one the other, and they always have a secret one tucked inside. She came from a litter of 4, her mum's second litter was 4, and i heard through the grapevine that one of her sisters had a litter of 4. So as litter size is determined through the female side, I think 4 is a good guesstimate :)

Last night I could hear her trying to nest under my bed, right by the wall, scratching at the carpet - she can think again!! I'll have to put some suitcases or something under there to discourage her. I am going out to buy a baby stairgate tomorrow so my dog can be kept out of the bedroom; I have a less secure wire frame against the door at the moment to keep him out but I often forget to keep it closed and find him snoozing on my bed. Luckily Cuba and Merlin are great friends - she always greets him before me!

Although unintentional, I am really looking forward to the babies. I bred pedigree cats years ago, so this will be my 9th litter (plus I midwifed two other litters). It's been at least 10 years since I had the pleasure of kittens. They will be brought up as well as, if not better than, my previous pedigree babies even thought they are moggies, and will not leave me til at least 10 weeks. I also intend to microchip and insure them before they go.

So, as you'll see from the pics, Cuba Sugar is much more like Sacka Sugar at the moment!

Hope you enjoy her pics and this mini-blog - updates will surely follow :)

Attached Files:

tylow likes this.
  2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i really enjoyed reading that, and isnt she a very pretty lady,:D

3. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

What a beautiful cat!

Wow not long to go now..How exciting. Keep us updated with everything that happens:)

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

you are right about her not looking like most moggies. she is stunning (not that normal moggies arent cute)

5. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Great thread :) Lovely cat. Look forward to the updates

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I love white cats :)

7. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

She is stunning!! Cant wait to see pics of her babies.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Thursday 13th August

Cuba is not herself today - she seems very uncomfortable, and is lying around looking worried. Now she is breathing heavily and oooh, there's some slight discharge there! So we're in the early stages of labour!

9. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

It is so exciting, i can't wait for pop pop to start but i think that she is just having me on. I don't think we are ever going to get there. Keep us posted look forward to the news.

ruth

xx

10. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:w00t: How exciting.....come on Cuba :biggrin: She definitely looks ready to pop in the last picture :smilewinkgrin:

11. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

How is she doing, hope everything is going to plan.

keep me posted

ruth
    xx

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh wow come on cuba! Get the camera ready!!

13. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Any news ???

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes we have news! And 6 kittens! Just let me have a stiff drink and de-stress, and I'll reveal all... LOL

15. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

OMG!!! 6 kittens that is fantastic CONGRATULATIONS!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hurry up with that stiff drink and give us all the details!!:D:D

16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

we need pictures please!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice