Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CSJ vs Skinners

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Irish Setter Gal, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Any contributions?

My 6mth old puppy is on Skinners Puppy @24% protein and I think this is affecting his behaviour - overly manic teenager behaviour, even for an Irish Setter :eek:

I have been thinking of switching both to CSJ but need to consider their coat 'support' hence asking for input.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

To be completely honest, I don't know why so many people rave about CSJ? Seems nearly all of them have wheat or maize in, and most don't declare the meat content. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one? :confused:

Never used Skinners or CSJ so can't comment on either, but you could always add salmon oil to whatever feed you choose, it's fantastic for the skin and coat – you can almost see your face in the shine off the coats when they have salmon oil :D

3. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

How about the skinners F/T duck and rice or salmon and rice adult.

4. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

The skinners puppy complete is 27% protein.....so more than you thought it was;)

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick has been on skinners f and t duck and rice since he was around 8/10 months old, hes doing great on it and his behaviour is very calm, Bella was crazy when she came to live with us and her behaviour was noticeably calmer once she went onto the skinners too.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would say try the skinners field and trial hypoallergenic - duck or salmon and rice as suggested already. Altho the main ingredient is rice, that is the only cereal and it's low protein but high in oil which works well for their coat.

As long as they are ok with rice you can always add a bit of wet/raw to increase the meat content.

I used to feed this but had problems with mine on kibble, I know feed all wet.

7. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

If shes 6 months come off the puppy and onto some of the adult stuff thats lower protein.

My staff has come off their puppy and is now on their salmon and rice one. My westie x is on Burns mini bite now as he doesn't like big kibble.

I've never had a problem with it.

8. Irish Setter Gal

Thanks for the feedback - my adult is on Skinners F&T Duck with occasional sardines in oil, and it suits him to the ground, just thought it was a little early to wean onto adult at 6mths of age, but that may be the answer to puppies hyper state.

Just wondered though what experience anybody else has had with CSJ

9. Irish Setter Gal

PS - have found rice based or hypo-allergenic feed best for setters in general

10. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

James Wellbeloved lamb and rice is wheat free and hypoallergenic, but a bit pricier. Skinners field and trial maintenance is about 18% protein but can't remember the ingredients. Because it's a working dog food there's none of that nasty VAT stuff to pay.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

CSJ is v popular with lots of great feedback. Not one that I've tried because of their cereal content.

If you find rice based hypoallergenic feeds suit setters well, then it sounds as tho skinners field and trial hypoallergenic is tailor made for you :D

12. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I have my GRs on vitalin lamb and rice sensitive and its suiting them very well and its suitable from 8weeks upwards so maybe an option for you to look at :)

13. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I use CSJ, it's done wonder for Tummels coat, it's really thick and soft. Also his teeth are really good.

I do realise it's not the best of the best when it comes to low grain but Tummel loves it and he's so much healthier on it than he was in wainwrights or iams so i'll be keeping him on it for the forseeable future.

14. flyballcrazy

flyballcrazy PetForums Senior

I have just moved all my dogs over onto CSJ Fit and Fast :) from the Skinners Duck and rice and i have already seen a big improvement in the dogs, they are less hypo and their poo is more firm and theirs less of it:)

Lots of people feed CSJ in the Flyball/Agility field and now wont feed anything else, the staff at CSJ are very helpful and will send out samples for your dog to try:)

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Just goes to show - no matter how much we research, what we would prefer or feel would be better for our dogs isnt always the case. If there is a marked improvement on CSJ, then that's the way I would be going.

I've tried for nearly a year to get mine to have a small amount of kibble because of my beliefs. She went a day with none and the difference in her was tremendous. That told me!!!! I've tried loads and no idea what upsets her but something in kibble certainly does.:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice