UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a suspicion that something more than Archie's foot/leg has been going on for a few weeks but haven't been able to pin point it at all. Thought it may be cancer as the vet said when this all started that he may have an unusual form of cancer.
However, he is now occasionally crying when he puts his head down.
Anyone else ever had this..........possibly spinal?

Not sure how much longer I can keep going with him, he's not a happy dog, in pain most of the time, only moving for food and to empty his bowels apart from hydro and biscuits on the lawn, he has a nonlife, and biscuits on the lawn will have to stop if he can't put his head down ........

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
Could it be a disc problem in his neck?
Bobby started doing this just over a year ago, an eventual MRI showed a bulging disc in his neck causing cord compression, he had surgery and is now fine.
I wouldn't have thought that such invasive surgery would be suitable for an old dog, but that's my guess.

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be a disc problem in his neck?
Bobby started doing this just over a year ago, an eventual MRI showed a bulging disc in his neck causing cord compression, he had surgery and is now fine.
I wouldn't have thought that such invasive surgery would be suitable for an old dog, but that's my guess.
It could be.
I won't put him through surgery and he can't rest much more than he already does.
I just hope we can get him to our holidays in October/November, he loves going away

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
It could be.
I won't put him through surgery and he can't rest much more than he already does.
I just hope we can get him to our holidays in October/November, he loves going away
What pain killers is he on? Bobby responded well to Metacam and Gabapentin. Maybe some strong pain relief would keep Archie comfortable, maybe see what the vet suggests.
Another thing that helped Bobby was a raised food bowl, he did find head-down movements painful.

Reactions: Lurcherlad

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
What pain killers is he on? Bobby responded well to Metacam and Gabapentin. Maybe some strong pain relief would keep Archie comfortable, see what the vet suggests.
Another thing that helped Bobby was a raised food bowl, he did find head-down movements painful.

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What pain killers is he on? Bobby responded well to Metacam and Gabapentin. Maybe some strong pain relief would keep Archie comfortable, maybe see what the vet suggests.
We tried all sorts of pain relief when this started, only Gabapentin worked. I've taken him up to the maximum dose that doesn't make him into a zombie. Not worth him living like that.
OH made him a raised bowl holder several weeks ago when we first realised that things were getting worse, also made him a ramp.
Honestly, there's no more we can do for him other than if the vet has some miracle.
I wonder if steroids would keep him going a bit longer without pain!

·
Administrator
17,374 Posts
We tried all sorts of pain relief when this started, only Gabapentin worked. I've taken him up to the maximum dose that doesn't make him into a zombie. Not worth him living like that.
OH made him a raised bowl holder several weeks ago when we first realised that things were getting worse, also made him a ramp.
Honestly, there's no more we can do for him other than if the vet has some miracle.
I wonder if steroids would keep him going a bit longer without pain!
Worth a try.

Reactions: rona

·
Premium Member
29,793 Posts
Sorry to hear this … poor Archie ☹

You’ve done wonders for him, but as you say, quality of life is key

Obviously, it would be lovely if he had one last holiday but if it’s in his interests to let him go sooner then that’s the right decision for him.

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH was working at the river today, so we set off early and he sat on the river bank with Archie watching the swans, while I had a walk.
On the short walk back to the car Archie discovered what I assume were mice under a water trough and had a little skitter round that.
Back into the car and looking out of the window for some of the journey home.
However, he is now struggling again and not wanting to move. Not quite as bad as yesterday but still bad

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ahh, bless him.I think you'll know when it's time to say goodbye but it doesn't sound like it's far off if he's in constant pain with no quality of life.I always try to make a distinction between just being alive and living.
This might be a silly idea but if he loves going away and enjoyed his outing to the river today, could you have a few days with a 'holiday at home '.Sort of doing some of the kind of things he loves about holiday's but going back to the comfort of his own home at the end of the outing?

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This might be a silly idea but if he loves going away and enjoyed his outing to the river today, could you have a few days with a 'holiday at home '.Sort of doing some of the kind of things he loves about holiday's but going back to the comfort of his own home at the end of the outing?
It's the going away he likes, not what he does. He has so much variety in his day to day life, but what he really loves is walking, and that he can no longer do.
There is a campsite next to the river and one little piece of it is private away from the rest. I've asked OH to enquire abou next weekend because it's not booked.
He's never been camping, so it would be an experience for him, and close enough to home if he's struggling or doesn't like it.

I don't hold out much hope of getting it but fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A camping trip sounds like a brilliant idea 🏕.Lots of fresh air and freedom,lots of sniffs that can be enjoyed and a bit of a potter around without needed to actually walk anywhere.Sounds great.Fingers and paws crossed that the spot is available.

·
Still missing my boys
42,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THE TALK with the vet today. Hoping to get Archie relatively pain free for a few more months

Camping trip not a goer :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts