UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Please can someone advise if you have seen this before and what can be causing it.

I only noticed it tonight when the dogs came to lie inside the house, they are normally outside dogs but due to the fireworks going on outside I had to bring them in. (please see pics in link)

I have 2 huskies, 1 chow and 1 Jack Russel. The huskies and the chow have these sores on them. I cut the hair around the sores off and cleaned them with warm water - I also applied an anticeptic cream to the sore for now.

I have read many posts on google and the one suggests in might be wheat in the treats that could be causing this, but then why does the Jack Russel not have these same sores. The make husky who has the most fur has almost 6 sores on him that I could find, the female husky has one and the chow has one.

Please any suggestions will help.
Appreciate your time.
Thanks
Jackie

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
As a preventative measure, take away any cereals for a week. It may be insect bites if it's erratic. Only one of my dogs reacts to cereals (we think).

As yours are outside dogs, it could be anything in the environment.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Husky, Chows and Mals are all prone to hot spots caused by a wet coat and not being able to dry properly

Trim the fur, bathe with salted water, towel dry and apply athletes foot powder liberally to dry the spots and kill bacteria. For the first three days bathe once daily but apply the powder three times a day. You want to dry them quickly and the powder will do this fast. After three days you don't need to bathe the areas more than once weekly just apply the powder. Hot spots smell, look green and pussy and are moist, even runny. Double coated dogs get the easily and even more so in damp weather like we're having. They spread very fast too. Vets often treat with fuciderm cream but that keeps them moist and takes much much longer to get rid of them.

My Mals have had them and the athletes foot powder is the best way to get rid if them. I use Mycil powder from the chemist.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi. With your dogs being outside most of the time (and the time of year in South Africa and with your weather on the Highveld) I would be looking at insect (flea) or parasite activity, along with what the good folk here have said about possible grain allergies. The days are warm, with afternoon thunder showers, and many dogs cool down by lying down in damp sand/grass etc.
I know friends of mine on the Highveld who are struggling with flea bite allergies with some of their dogs, as the days warm up considerably.
I can't see the pictures so I'm not sure what the 'sores' look like.
Trouble is, with your dogs being outdoors most of the time, they are probably licking those sores constantly, which is making matters a lot worse (whatever the cause).
If your dogs are outdoors 24/7 (which is a real shame), they should still be examined each and every day for any changes in their conditioning, and in that way any medical issues will be picked up on, before escalating.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
OMG,,, pictures are on her profile. NOT hot spots

Van you get a vet to see them?

they look like some sort of burrowing insect damage :eek:
I took a look now.

That is most definitely the work of insects, parasites from the outdoors I reckon. A vet is going to have to look at that - sooner rather than later!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.