Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cruising

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Feb 4, 2019.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

i don't even know what you two are on about> The only other cruising I know is those showing off their cars or motor bikes

SusieRainbow likes this.
  2. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

@rona one thing does occur to me, and may be completely irrelevant, but when Mrs83 and I go on cruises what we enjoy most is waking up each morning at a new port of call, rather than the cruising itself. Days at sea (we think) are okay when you've got something to look at (like fjords!) or when you're happy with a good book - assuming you aren't going to do the zumba classes! - but we enjoy more exploring a new place.

The only reason I mention it is because the trip to Guernsey and back is mostly cruising rather than arriving, and I wouldn't want you to judge every cruise on that experience - unless you like it!

The thing is, whichever way round you prefer it - more sea days / fewer ports or vice versa - there are a lot of cruises to suit your tastes.

Here endeth the advert on behalf of cruise companies!!

rona and Fleur like this.
  3. rona

To be honest, the Guernsey trip is only to test for sea sickness and try out being surrounded by all those people. I really think we'll prefer the time at sea than the ports, unless of course they are only tiny and we can get out into the surrounding countryside

Arnie83 likes this.
  4. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Good for you but doesn’t mean that a cruise is still environmentally brilliant.

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am a strong introvert so the thought of being stuck on a boat with lots of people doesnt fill me with great excitement, however i am quite drawn to the scientific cruises where the other travellers are more likely to be like me :)

Though the Norwegian cruises with tbese people with the lectures local food and lots of stops to get out into the country look interesting.
    https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/find-a-cruise/

#25 kittih, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    rona likes this.
  6. rona

It'll still happen if I'm there or not

7. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I like the idea of a cruise visiting different ports and experiencing different countries/locations etc but at the same time I don't like the idea of being "stuck" with a bunch of people and surrounded by water! Weird I know but I like having the option to "get away" and would possibly feel to contained on a Cruise ship....

That said, I do really want to do a whale watching trip (Slightly different I know to a cruise) as I find whales such fascinating creatures.

rona likes this.
  8. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

Not been around for a while, but browsing on here tonight & came across this thread.

We've cruised a few times, to various places. Our most recent one was last Oct, a 14 night cruise 'Seeking the Northern Lights'. It was the longest cruise we have done & we loved every minute of it. It was our favourite cruise to date. We went with TUI which is a perfect ship for us, they are not to big & we have never had any problems or issues. TUI cruises are also very relaxed with only one dress up night which isn't compulsory.

Norway & the fjords are absolutely stunning & waking up somewhere new every day is my favourite part of cruising. We have met some great people on our cruises that we are still in touch with & some amazing memories.

By the way we did get to see the lights, 5 nights in a row & they were as spectacular as you can imagine.

20181016_114924.jpg

PA110002.jpeg IMG_20181013_174124_HDR.jpg PA110103.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. rona

Looks lovely. Have you any pictures aboard the ship?

10. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

I've got a few

20181017_193459.jpg Gallery 47° one of the restaurants, food was amazing in here.
    20181004_143606.jpg We had an inside cabin on deck 2, in the middle. Perfect for rough sea days, we had a few, but being low down & centre plus taking sturgeon meant that I was fine for the whole cruise (I suffer from motion sickness alot)
    20181004_200707.jpg Broadway show lounge, saw some pretty fab shows in here & they worked hard on some evenings either due to the weather being a bit iffy or an announcement of the northern lights spotting meant that the place cleared out pretty quick
    20181012_130221.jpg
    Our ship was TUI Discovery (an ex Royal Caribbean). It was just the right size. Passenger capacity was approx 1850.
    20181017_145136.jpg Pool deck, just before staff tug of war on the last evening.
    20181013_134839.jpg Our cabin was a small one, but we only slept in it & a balcony is no good as I don't like being close to the edge of the shops & refuse to look over the side (yet I love cruising)
    20181017_221544.jpg The atrium. A big deal on this ship & quite a bit goes on here. It's also a magnificent sight.
    20181017_211832.jpg
    Another view of the Atrium. This was the Captains dance on the last night.

Sorry I've just inundated this post with photos (I have got loads more ).

We are looking forward to booking our next one, just not sure where yet.
    TUI have alot of destination choices too.

Arnie83 and rona like this.
  11. rona

Honestly, I'd like as much info as you are willing to give. I've absolutely no idea what to expect

12. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

What ship are you on for the Guernsey trip, Rona?

13. rona

We haven't booked it yet as we have a 3week holiday in Scotland soon. We would be sailing from Southampton though

14. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

We have only ever done small relaxed ships.
    Our first cruise was with Ocean Village, whose tag line was 'the cruise for people that don't do cruises' & it was perfect, the restaurants were buffet style & no dressing up. They were a part of P&O.
    We did the Mediterranean & Caribbean with them. Sadly the ships were sent over to the Australian market by P&O.
    We looked around & found Thomson's cruises. Our first cruise was on the Spirit sailing from Egypt to Greece, not the best ship in our opinion as it was a converted ferry & old (this one left the fleet last year).
    We have since done 2 with TUI (formerly Thompsons) on the Discovery & have found a ship & style that suits us.
    I have no idea what other ships are like & to be honest reluctant to try as we enjoy TUI so much.
    There are some good Facebook groups where you can see pictures etc & Cruise Critic is a great site for information on cruise lines & ports.
    We consider a cruising holiday a floating hotel with a fresh destination everyday. The sea days are a great way to recharge yourself & properly relax. I love sitting & watching the world sail by.
    There is generally enough to see & do that you don't get bored & we have been extremely lucky in that both of our recent cruises we have docked close enough to the sights that we were able to explore our own way (admittedly we did do 121miles of walking on our last cruise & became known as the walking couple)
    You get out what you put in I believe & we had a great rapport with the staff & met some great people.
    TUI is also all inclusive so flights, drinks & food are included. There are a couple of fancy restaurants with a surcharge, but we never felt the need to use them.
    The atmosphere on our Norway cruise was the best we have experienced.

rona likes this.
  15. rona

Just looked and it would probably be Ventura, P&O

16. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I've been on it once, but I've had a look and I haven't got any pictures of the inside! It's a perfectly nice ship, and I remember Mrs83 and I liked the Glass House restaurant, (though don't take that as a recommendation since we are sure to like different things, and on a 2 night trip you probably won't get to eat in too many different places!)

rona likes this.
  17. rona

I'll be more interested in the Swimming pool and gym than eateries. ;)
    Can you eat in your cabin at all?

18. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I'm sure you can, and that's it's free for breakfast. My (now sadly late) mother used to have her breakfast in her cabin each day. I suspect they may charge for the evening meal.

There are a couple of pools iirc, and the gyms are always pretty good on the ships, and usually have a good view of the sea.

rona likes this.
  19. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Friends of mine "did the Fjords" cruise. Got a bit fed up of the "same" view ?!? :Bored

They are used to hills, mind cos of where they live :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then they go skiing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

For me, who packs for multiple trips throughout the year cruising would mean it would be nice to pack/unpack once, see several places, go home.

Just for a change :Shy

We're debating cruising next year, dh has always said he wasn't old enough (its a control thing) but he's coming around to the idea, nearly.

I'm saying it's like camping on sea, he's not buying it :D

rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

I could bore you silly with my stories of the cruises I've been on, we done 4 in the last 2 years.
    We also done a 2 day cruise to Zeebrugge & Gurnsey and loved it.
    We always go with P&O as the port is just down the road from us (45 mins to be precise)

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice