UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my pug Coco will be taking a cruise on the 15th December. I didn't even realise that you could take pets with you on a cruise.
We will be travelling with Cunard on the Queen Mary 2 and I am so excited!
Coco is always by my side and I love him to bits so I would never travel without him!
Here is the itinerary of my cruise.. Cunard Cruises - Queen Mary 2 - 15th Dec 2012 - 7 nights

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Well as a veteran cruiser I didn't know that either. Once met an assistance dog on board but we had lots of stops. Being practical where does he toilet and where is he allowed to go apart from your cabin? Can he disembark in New York? is there lots of paperwork??
Hope it all goes as you and your dog would wish.
Oooh do dogs get sea sick?

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Found this online:

There is an exception to this rule. One cruise line, Cunard, does allow dogs and cats on certain transatlantic cruises on the Queen Mary 2, but many restrictions apply and space is limited. A full time kennel master is responsible for the 12 air-conditioned kennels on the QM2. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open during certain hours to passengers who want to spend time with their pet in this restricted area. Pets are never allowed in the cabins or outside the kennel area. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. Kennel fees start at $300.

Dogs and cats onboard the Queen Mary 2 receive the same pampering their owners expect on this classic ocean liner, including a complimentary gift pack featuring a QM2-logoed coat, Frisbee, name tag, food dish and scoop; complimentary portrait with pet owners; a crossing certificate and personalized cruise card. Other pet perks include:

•extra comfortable pet beds in two sizes
•healthy gourmet cookies for dogs and cats baked fresh daily and offered at bedtime
•fleece blankets
•assortment of dog and cat toys
•cat posts and scratchers

Not sure its really something I would consider a true 'Holiday' for the dog - Confined to a kennel where the owner can visit during opening hours and walk them in the restricted area IF they want to spend time with their pet :rolleyes:

Millie would prefer a week in the wilderness or seaside any time.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Good detective work Milliepoochie, not what I imagined at all. Barney was much happier staying with my friend and his dog pals and sticking to his usual routine, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all depends on how much you spend on the kennel to how much you can see them.
Kennel opening hours are 9-7.30

By 7.30 on a night Coco is relaxing anyway!

They have a special place where they can go to the toilet which is cleaned up often (I don't know where they put it)

Also they have an area on board the ship which you can play with them and walk them etc.

All pets must be fitted with a microchip, vaccinated against rabies, satisfactorily blood tested to ensure sufficient protection against rabies, issued with an official PETS certificate, official PET passport or 3rd country certificate, treated against ticks and tapeworm no more than 48 hours before check in and issued with an official certificate of treatment

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thankyou Twist119 I'm a very curious person. They sound very organised and careful. Enjoy

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
It all depends on how much you spend on the kennel to how much you can see them.
Kennel opening hours are 9-7.30

By 7.30 on a night Coco is relaxing anyway!

They have a special place where they can go to the toilet which is cleaned up often (I don't know where they put it)

Also they have an area on board the ship which you can play with them and walk them etc.

All pets must be fitted with a microchip, vaccinated against rabies, satisfactorily blood tested to ensure sufficient protection against rabies, issued with an official PETS certificate, official PET passport or 3rd country certificate, treated against ticks and tapeworm no more than 48 hours before check in and issued with an official certificate of treatment
Its not for me but it sounds good. I would spend the whole holiday tring to sneak Millie into my cabin though! ;)

Can u take your dog off the ship if you have any moored up days?

I can see the appeal, if it was kennels at home or kennel on a ship then I can understand wanting your dog close.

Hope you have an amazing time - not many dogs get to go on a cruise;-)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The kennel spaces on the QM2 are very popular with people who are emigrating with their dogs, they usually get booked up very quickly!!

I found out about it whilst researching for our move to Canada but we decided to fly ours instead through a pet moving company.

One of ours gets horribly car sick so I'm not sure I'd want to chance putting her on a boat :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only the best for my coco ;)

I haven't really thought about him getting sea sick, but i'll take all of her favourite treats!

They are also allowed to come on my shore excursions as he has had all his injections etc. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.