Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cruelty free - what's your favourite brand?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Amelia66, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

So I'm thinking of going cruelty free where i can with products. I was just wondering if anyone has any favourite products/brands they would recommend? I'm also trying to avoid products whos parent companies test on animals [like the body shop being owned by L'Oréal]

Any one have any recommendations?

PennyTheCat likes this.
  2. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Shall be following this thread with interest.

Is Superdrug OK? They sell own brand, cruelty free shampoo and condtioner. And Barry M make up.

Amelia66 likes this.
  3. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I think all of Superdrugs own brand are cruelty free.

I love BarryM their nail polish is so so good! Pretty glad they are cruelty free as it would be hard not to buy them lol

4. StrawberryBlonde

StrawberryBlonde PetForums Senior

I buy sainsburys own face wipes & other toiletries because none of it is tested on animals. Also I'm a massive fan of Treacle Moon shower gels; its exclusively in Tesco & Waitrose, such yummy 'flavours' (my fave being One Ginger Morning & The Honeycomb Secret), not tested on animals & its vegan < so much cheaper then Lush's smellys!

Amelia66 and PennyTheCat like this.
  5. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I really love Lush products.. but only as special treats, I'm not a millionaire ;)

6. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Any toiletries produced in the EU are not tested on animals, products that strip frogs etc of their protective mucus are a big problem, as are products which don't biodegrade.

However as my skin hates me, I have to use cetaphil, which is not biodegradable.

Amelia66 likes this.
  7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Amelia66 and PennyTheCat like this.
  8. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

My skin is very sensitive so I use Dermalogica for everything and would sell myself to afford it. It's not cheap but anything to have soothed skin. According to Peta it's not tested on animals. For almost everything else (and I include my home and cleaning products in this) I use essential oils and hot water.

I'm making up for past sins.

Amelia66 likes this.
  9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I use Ecover handwash citrus and orange blossom when I can, sadly it's rather expensive so I can't afford to use it all the time.

Amelia66 likes this.
  10. PennyTheCat

PennyTheCat PetForums Member

The link below is a stockist for hundreds of certified cruelty free, ethical, organic branded products:
    http://www.naturalcollection.com/
    Two of my faves from there are Burt's Bees and Faith in Nature.
    Other brands I like which are available from some supermarkets are Treacle Moon, and Method (household cleaning products).

Amelia66 likes this.
  11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Alongside vinegar, bicarb of soda & lemon juice I use Astonish products for cleaning the house, they're cheap & available in a lot of bargain shops like QD.

For clothes washing I use Tesco's own brand washing powder, I'd use Ecover but it's so expensive & we're on a limited budget.

Not heard of Treacle Moon, will have to look them up! I'm also a big fan of Lush & their shampoo bars are quite pricey but last a long time as you don't need much :)

noushka05 and Amelia66 like this.
  12. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Ecover is one of the only brand i currently use that i thought were cruelty free, but reading online it cant be verified which makes people suspicious.

Their surface cleaner and washing liquid is really good tho!

13. catpud

catpud PetForums VIP

I second the recommendation for lush and also faith in nature - with lush it's best to try and stock up on stuff in their boxing day sale, I did that this year, but there were lots of problems with the site crashing unfortunately. I managed to get things just fine though.

Bomb cosmetics it's similar to lush but a fair bit more affordable - their stuff is available in lots of shops and online and the products are not tested on animals

Amelia66 likes this.
  14. SarahBugz

SarahBugz PetForums Member

I use Tropics for skincare/toiletaries/makeup etc.... they are really good. Definitely worth a look. Also handmade in the UK. I held a party and got most of the catalogue for free: http://www.tropicskincare.com/

I need to get better with household cleaners etc... I'm trying to go "chemical free" and have been looking into Norwex which has just launched in the UK. Their products aren't tested on animals but my support rep is currently trying to find out if they will be applying to the vegan society etc.. to get official cruelty free status: https://sarahbuglass.norwexuk.ie/?p=start&lang=EN

#14 SarahBugz, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Amelia66 likes this.
  15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

From what I've read it's because they did tests using daphnia, also known as water fleas, in order to determine its effects

Amelia66 likes this.
  16. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Yes this is what i have read also. Seems there is a big debate about it online.

17. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

The finished product has maybe not been tested on animals but the ingredients definitely have, it's the law. The beauty firms buy in the ingredients and produce the product so can they honestly say they weren't tested on animals. One of the biggest manufacturers of chemicals is ICI. (Dulux dog).

Amelia66 likes this.
  18. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

One of the ways to tell if something is not cruelty free is to see if its sold in China, if it is its not cruelty free as they require animal testing.

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

There is a company called Beauty Without Cruelty which I used to use and am considering going back to. Will need to read all their blurb to make sure they really are.

The trouble with these things is it's so difficult to be absolutely sure anything is 100%.

Amelia66 likes this.
  20. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I too use Beauty Without Cruelty make up products & have done for years. I buy ecover washing up liquid. I stock up when theres an offer on but even at full price its excellent value for money because it lasts AGES. Like SS I would buy ecover washing powder if I could afford to because its cruelty free and ecofriendly as well but as we're on a budget I can only afford that when its on offer. So I usually buy co-ops own brand washing powder. And I mainly buy co-ops household products, handwash & shampoo too - they all have BUAVs leaping bunny logo. We use Original Source shower gel. (I prefer the mint & tea tree one) Its vegan & its tested on us! I love Lush stuff but that's just a treat.

Amelia66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice