Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cross breeds

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I have just been sat in the doctors waiting room, just routine! Talking to a woman who I know has dogs, these cocker poodle things.

So she was chatting about dogs breeds how pedigrees are the thing of the past, which I don’t agree with but then she said, she was thinking of getting ahead of the game and wanted to cross breed cats :eek:

Yes I nearly rugby tackled her there and then off the chair, but decided to remain calm and try and educate her.

So I said that they would just be BYB cats and moggies really, that there are thousands of cats across the world like this, to please not add to this humongous problem, also the health risks! Bla bla bla

In one ear out the other! It works with dogs why not cats. She wanted to cross Siamese with Bengals :eek:

Now do I track her address down and when I know she has kittens, break into her house steal them overnight and end up in jail or start a campaign off outside her house!

Is it me or are some people so stupid! :Banghead How can such a person be worked on!

2. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

People like that can only see the potential for money, nothing else. I've upset a few people who have told me their dog is a cocker poo ( or some other crossbreed) because I say "oh, you mean a mongrel?" My comment doesn't go down too well. While people are stupid enough to pay big money fora crossbreed because they have been told they are rare then you will always get so called breeders. Well done you for not reacting and getting yourself arrested, very impressed

Pinto, ewelsh and buffie like this.
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sadly such people can't be worked on and you do see some strange breeds crossed though perhaps not so many as dogs. Of course some pedigree breeds were created this way - Tonkinese for example and Bengals themselves. There are very strict limitations on outcrossing these days within the GCCF but that doesn't stop those who have £ signs in their eyes.
    At least you did your bit @ewelsh even if your words fell on stony ears.

lea247, buffie, AmsMam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

It makes me so angry when people cross breed, it poops all over the hard work ethical breeders have put into developing their breed.

A Siamese/Bengal cross sounds frankly terrifying, not only is it a gene pool disaster waiting to happen I dread to think what behaviour problems there would be.

I think it should be illegal for any breeder to sell unneutered kittens or cats. It irritates me that many breeders are behind the times when it comes to ESN, when we know quite categorically now that there are no health problems with ESN cats so there is no good reason not to do it.

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

Wow :(

It isn't working with dogs at all though, it's a serious problem as the very vast majority of crossbreed dog breeders are in it for the money & nothing else.

What a thoughtless & greedy individual she sounds, hopefully you've put a flea in her ear that will worm through & make her think in more depth before doing something silly.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

...............stupidity has many forms :(

ewelsh and NFC slave like this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I wonder if some of these crossings will become breeds one day, as was said happens to some now accepted cat breeds.
    All non naturally occuring cat breeds such as the Siberian, Norwegians etc came about from mixing different breeds or nonbreed cats with breed cats.
    After all if there are cats called Ragamuffins and Ragdolls it can’t be odder than a dog called a Cocker-poodle.
    To be fair many of the new cat breeds were moggies not too long ago and the breeders who created them must have been classed as back yard breeders at one point.
    Look at the evolution of Bengals and Toygers....:Wideyed but they are accepted.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Cat breeds have generally come about through careful outcrosses, rather than throwing cats together willy nilly. For a new breed to be accepted by any registry body it needs to have approval and a clear lineage. Although that doesn't necessarily follow that all breeders in the early days were ethical

No, no, no. The Forest breeds (MCO, NFO & SIB) are naturally occurring breeds, they weren't made.

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

A Bengal crossed with a Siamese is a Bengal, just going back to one of their foundation breeds. Nothing new there.

10. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Maybe I am a hypocrite ...Tali has some Siamese in her genes, that is where the Himilayan/colourpoint Persians come from. And I think exotics have some American shorthair in their history

But dogs seem to have gone daft. Cockapoo? Chorkie? Jug?

#10 Smuge, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    ewelsh likes this.
  11. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

The serengeti was made from breeding Bengals with Oriental shorthair

Rufus15 and ewelsh like this.
  12. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Member

I think crossing selectively to better a breed I.e bulldogs for longer noses etc makes sense. But some of these crosses are just ridiculous! We inherited my partner's mum's dog when she died and he was a Springer collie cross which they basically got for free 16 years ago. I recently seen a litter of the same puppies for 600 as they are now 'sprollies'! Andl probably not health checked on top

13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Rufus15
    That was my meaning that those are examples of naturally occuring breeds, Siberian’s, Norwegians and such...naturally occurring. I see how I wrote it can be misread. My point was most breeds did not evolve naturally the way they did. Most are crosses of this and that with what is called a Moggie, hence they are moggies till they get qualified as breeds.

Nobody mentioned random but a moggie is still a moggie isn’t it? That is what I hear on the forum. So crossing different cats no matter how thoughtful you think it is is still crossing and then bingo they are a ‘breed’.

ewelsh likes this.
  14. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Our half siamese ginger tom was lovely - intelligent, quite vocal, very affectionate but not neurotic or overly territorial. But maybe he was just genetically lucky and he may've been a right mess.
    I think its a shame people want these silly named dogs (and I firmly believe some are actually attracted to the daft name rather than the dog!) without considering the health issues, though some overly bred pedigrees are problematic too. Whatever happened to those nice mongrels most people had when I was a kid?

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Thank you for clarifying, I was a bit confused and a bit shocked with how I read it. I mostly agree with this, and that's the reason I stick to the Forest breeds.

--

I think though the terminology used in the cat fancy can be confusing. What is the difference between outcross and moggy? Technically speaking all outcrosses are moggies but not all moggies are outcrosses, and there are only a select number of outcrosses at best.

Take the Rex breeds for example, they began in one litter and they were developed into a breed. They had to have outcrosses, from already established breeds, to help diversify that one litter's gene pool. That's not a bad thing in itself. Although one would class them as moggies, but the outcrosses used are from long tested, well established, safe lines.

Throwing two cats together to make a Maine Sphynx (I kid you not) isn't quite the same thing.

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Learnt something new today, thanks both :D

spotty cats and anachronism like this.
  17. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

There is also a difference between breeders working a new breed toward championship status, which tends to take many years, and someone just crossing breeds with a cutesy made up name to sell to buyers not bothering to do research.

ribbon, Tigermoon, Rufus15 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Yup. Intention and long term goals are the key difference.

19. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

:confused: :eek: o_O

20. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I've seen it advertised more than once. All of the kittens were short furred. None of them had a distinctive MC look. They were selling them for nearly £1,000!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice