Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cross Breeds?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Maistaff, May 14, 2010.

1. Maistaff

Maistaff PetForums Senior

i may tred on some toes here but i have to ask the question .....

Why do people go out there way to breed cross breeds? I just don't understand why anyone would cross two dogs when there are so many wonderful breeds out there to choose form :confused::

The breeding of cross breed dogs on purpose i feel is wrong. Accidents happen ok we deal with that but for anyone to go out there on purpose to cross breed two pure bred dogs is just plain mental.

If its not broken then why try to fix it? or even try to adjust it ?

Cat_Crazy, deb53 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I have to agree with you here, but i dont think this thread will run for long before getting closed.

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Don't get you!? Why not cross breed if people like the pupsters and they end up with fab homes i don't see the problem, once upon a time only the rich had pedigree dogs and 'the rest of us' had crosses and mongrels! I think it is snobbery that makes people say such things!! I have 2 crosses and wouldn't change them for the world!

DKDREAM likes this.
  4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I am in 2 minds. If nobody deliberately bred I wouldn't have Luna but at the same time I think it's wrong especially as you get some really random crosses!

5. Maistaff

Thank you for being honest

I just don't understand why anyone would go out their way to breed a cross breed dog when we have so many varieties of pure bred dogs out their to choose from . I just don't get it

From my point of view the breed i love is being destroyed thanks to bad breeders (BYB) and cross variations leading to "type" looking animals.

I do appreciate that accidents happen that is life but it is deliberate breeding that really bugs me and gets my back up !

6. Maistaff

The problem is they don't ALL end up with fab homes!! Many end up in the worng hands and in reality a vast number end up in rescues!!

7. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

As do many 'pure breed' dogs.

8. Matrix/Logan

Yes i agree with you but then so do a lot of pedigree dogs so why single out the crosses? A lot of pedigrees go to their breed rescues which is why not as many are seen in rescues as mongrels and crosses, it doesn't mean that just because they are a cross they are MORE likely to end up in rescue..... sadly it is ALL dogs!

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

the same applies for pedigrees too.

10. Maistaff

For sure this is also true but i think if you had to do a percentage comparison i feel that the cross breeds would far out weigh the pure bred dogs

11. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

where did pedigree dogs come from? their is bound to be more mongral/cross breeds because thats where dogs started from. God didnt just put dogs in pairs on the earth with pedigree papers attached. In a good few years some of the cross breeds today may become a recognised pedigree breed

#11 DKDREAM, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

here we go again!! lol

13. Matrix/Logan

AGREE!!! :thumbup:

14. Maistaff

I do understand what you are saying and i agree that a lot of dogs end up in rescue

However the cross breeding of dogs as much as some people have lovely fantastic dogs out of it IMO is not needed.

From my point of view when discussing the Stafford i have seen so many cross breeds that really should never have happened e.g staffy JRT, Staffy Collie, Staffy EBT, Staffy mastiff etc etc With the breed i love i am standing back watching it be destroyed by constant bad breeding of cross breed types.

If not breeding for money then why else would anyone breed cross breeds? The designers lables they all get just add pounds to the price tags when in reality despite the name the dogs is no more than a cross breed.

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

people cross breed if they want to produce good working dogs, Its common JRT x Staffy, it gives the dog more power.

16. Maistaff

I agree and i know that is where the pedigree dogs came from ...

I do hope that some of the cross breeds of today NEVER become a recognised breed. Some certain breeds of dogs SHOULD NEVER be mixed yet some people go out their way to do so :(

17. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Yes, but if you dig a bit deeper, you will find that a lot of 'pure bred' dogs who end up in rescue are from puppy farms and back yard breeders - because responsible breeders take their pups back or at least assist with rehoming - in fact, it's a mandatory requirement for Accredited breeders.

Since THAT programme about Pedigree Dogs and the many genetic conditions they carry, there are some people trying to 'con' the general public into believing that cross breeds will be healthier - and they are often sold, usually with no health tests or formal results, for MORE than their health tested pedigree counterparts.

I have already said this on another thread - but cross breeds actually carry a greater risk of a HIGHER number of inherited conditions than their pedigree counterparts, and I don't understand why people can't recognise this.

I have NOTHING against cross-breeds, as again I've said on other threads, they may excellent pets and companions, and have been successfully used in various 'working roles' such as assistance dogs, and services such as the army.

What I DO object to most strongly, is the deliberate breeding of them for no purpose - and often sold for VERY large sums of money as if they are something special, when they aren't :(

if Labradors and Poodles really did produce non-shedding dogs, then fantastic - but they don't.

If there was a need for the traits of two breeds to be combined to undertake a specific job that can't be done by an existing breed - brilliant.

==============================

Other than that - if people want cross breeds - then go to a rescue - they have all shapes and sizes there and all ages from 7 weeks upwards.

Rescues get pregnant bitches dumped on them all the time - pedigrees and cross breeds - but these are not from responsible breeders - find me someone prepared to pay out thousands to do everything properly and then dump their pregnant bitch.

18. Maistaff

A staffy JRT is a bad mix. temprament of a JRT with the body and strength of Stafford :eek6::eek6:

I have met a few and thought how awfull, poor dogs that i have saw have tiny legs and a huge stafford body and head!! Felt so sorry for the poor dog to tell you the truth

#18 Maistaff, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  19. Maistaff

Thank you ..

20. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Clare7435 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice