Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cross breeding cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Debbie, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Ok so some of you know the topic that is taking place regarding cross breeding of dogs and it got me thinking - do people who breed and show pedigree cats feel the same about cross breeding cats?
    I do have 2 "moggies" - and 1 British Shorthair cat......
    What are your views on this???

2. I love moggies and I do respect them too, but I am against cross breeding pedigree cats. Its just a mess and disrespect. I dont like idea of genetically created breeds. The most welcom is addition of Foundation lines which is not possible in every breed I think, but which does reduces inbreeding.

3. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

pedigree cats where a creation of outcrossing, if Ann Baker had not done this in the early 60's then we would not have our wonderfull Ragdoll cats:)

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Yes but would you cross your Ragdolls now?

5. I was thinking the same.....

6. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

i had a tabby who was put to sleep a month ago.
    he had his boys took off at 6 months.

7. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I dont have a good enough reason to do so, or a desire to as I dont think I could improve a ragdoll. I have had a cross litter although that was the sneaky cats and not a plan although it was a fantastic litter of healthy stunning kittens, no I would not plan another.:cool:

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Thankyou for answering Esined - thats the kind of thing I wanted from cat people - and your answer of not being able to improve on a Ragdoll cat is another fantastic reason not to cross breed a pedigree cat in this day and age. How can you improve on that beauty? :)

10. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

or temprement, :D

11. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

Debbie I do have a problem with people breeding pedigree cats that are not on active register, containing a pedigree as i feel they are some how cotaminating the breed, what do you think?:)

12. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Well I am not involved with cats as such - I own 3 but only one is a pedigree cat BSH who is neutered now. I have a strong view in dog cross breeding and really wanted to learn about how people feel about the same thing with pedigree cats. My opinion is that pedigree cats have been bred for years - healthy bloodlines and good temperaments should not be mixed with. I dont know what health tests etc should be done with cats - but am very willing to learn and very interested. I wouldnt want to mix breed if I had a pedigree cat myself - every breed has their own traits and temprement - their own unique way?? So why mix that? But as for anything else please ramble away - would be nice to hear from more cat breeders or exhibitors to really understand this subject.
    But if I put it in terms of breeding a dog that requires certain health tests before breeding from and then going on to use an unhealth tested dog - I agree with what you say about contamination ( such a clinical word ) LOL

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I agree completely with Debbie and Esined, people shouldn't mess around with breeds as you have to think about possible health concerns etc and many people dont, they just do it out of curiosity.

14. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

16. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i got a plain old black moggie had her done before she could breed. but if i did have a pedigree cat i wouldnt even think of crossing them like my dogs

17. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

hi carol, whats the difference between crossing dogs and cats:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice