Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cross breed type...

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by kristy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Ok before i start please dont take this the wrong way its just a question and im not wanting to fall out with anyone, just been wondering...
    when you look at some of the dogs in rescue kennels or the pounds there seems alot of staffy crosses,which i know only to well the huge amount of staffys/staffy crosses which sadly end up in the rescues.
    my question is why is nearly every dog described as a staffy cross?
    i saw a JRT x staff advertised as a staffy cross which you could clearly see he had more jrt so would it not have helped him get a home been on the rescue as a JRTx.
    there seems to be alot of dogs which have more of another breed in them on as staffy crosses.
    now i love staffys and would do all i could to save/help one if i could but my point is i know people for example would never consider a staffy cross but would take a JRT cross, or lab x.
    is there a reason why they all get branded a staffy cross? as in are there rules with rescues that if they think a dog has the slight bit of staffy in them then they must be classed as a staffy cross.
    Once again im not trying to cause any arguments but just been sat here upset about the amount of stafy crosses which are on the pts lists.

2. Gilka

Gilka PetForums Junior

I totally understand what you mean Kristy. I think if it's got the slightest bit of muscle on it a dog is labelled a staffy X unless it is definately EBTX for example. Not sure why it's done........

3. I have no idea why they do that. but i recon your right that they would more likely be rehomed if the other breed or suspected breed was mentioned. I love staffs. Such sweet natured dogs

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think they have an obligation to tell people what breeds are in the dog they are rescuing.

In most SBT crosses, its the Staffie side that is more apparent and "dominant". Yes, many people have a hang up when it comes to Staffies, but no rescue should resort to devious behaviour in order to rehome a dog.

Also, they arent always a great first time breed. They are high energy, needs firm and consistent training, and an experienced handler. An adopter has the right to know what they are getting.

5. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

My new puppy is a French Bulldog x Min Pin and looks quite muscular like a mini staffy. I wonder if ppl will think she has staffy in her? I think Staffys are very loving dogs. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice