Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cropped ears..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I'm not sure on some facts about cropping, and had a little debate with my dad about however cropping is nessesary and/or a health issue for the dog.
    I'm of the idea that its not anything but pure estetics + maybe for funneling sound bether(dobbermen for guarding.. but comeon this can't be a reason in 2009)?

My dad though got all those tales about "flappy" ears being a healthrisk of great propotion for all the "cropped" dogbreeds; pit bulls/rottweiler /dobermann etc.
    Such as; bloodcirculation problems, painfull shaking the head(flapping ears to hard on skull to make them bleed). Etc. etc.
    And also some other people use the; for not having those big ears for thiefs to grab(guard dog) lol?

He does agree that the tail is just for looks, and even hurt the dog more wen cropped as it serve as a link in balancing.

Anyone that can clear this up for me? Most people in my "village" here is like ppl in denmark and the uk 500years ago, 90!!% of all dogs is held in a small cage or CHAIN 24/7. :(

TY! :cool:

#1 Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. jenny12386

jenny12386 PetForums Newbie

I didn't even know that this happened. Personally I think it's a bad idea. With the ears clipped it means that the ear canal is more open for infection and can possabily cause more problems than it solves.

As for tail docking, it's defo not just for cosmetic reasons. The hunt and working dogs tails would be docked so that they didn't get cought when running through brambles and things like that. Maybe it's going a little too far, but I guess it's just tradition and it doesn't do them any halm.

I've noticed when I searched clipped ears on google that it was mostly pictures of dogs that where breed for fighting that came up. I get the impretion that their ears would be clipped so that a dogs it was fighting with couldn't grab hold of it and mangle it, causing alot of damage that could effect the dogs hearing as well as it's appearences. Tails would be docked with fighting dogs to stop a simular thing.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It's illegal in many countries, and whilst it *may* have served a purpose hundreds of years ago, now it is done purely for cosmetic reasons.

This act of mutilation has no place in modern society.

4. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

totally agree!

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

barbaric!!!..........................

6. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Totally agree with you

7. rona

rona Guest

8. Varkhond

I can see the advantage in not having ears, so the adversary bether can aim for puncturing your eyes and going for the throat. Not an reason imho. I understand those "poor/got money to feed such a huge dog anyways.." gotta depend on big herd dog's for preventing economic loses. But comeon. Its the same as (me having huge ears) cutting them of before going to the UFC or wrestling or some asian illlegal cage fighting to death. I rather see those goatfarmers throw out some natural dead goats to feed the wolves, then throwing a 3x bigger angry dog on them..

To barbaric in my ears. :(

It's 100% illegal to crop ears or tails in italy, but people just go to slovakia or another third country, and import them back with ugly ass ears (my opinion). The police/goverment cant touch them then, need some better laws to prevent musclebob goin outside italy to "pimp hes pit".

#8 Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009
  9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I believe it's done purely for cosmetic reasons. If you don't like a dog the way it was born, don't bother having it! :)

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Varkhond; am i right in saying its actually a legal requirement that dogs are exercised daily in Italy?

11. Varkhond

Yes and no. There is a wellbeing law for dogs here, but like many other things its being seen through on mostly all cases. I have reported countless chained dogs, but only one have been forced to be rehomed. (nice boxer, lives with my old uncle now and is the biggest angel of all). He came with no hair and a nasty fleshwound all around the neck, + some nasty thing on he's legs because of the little room he had to roam / move around.

Here in italy there is laws like you cant polute throwing cigarettes and **** out the window of the car, or you have to clean after your dogs toileting on the streets. Little does laws help without enforcing them 100%.

On my road there is these 4 ignorant dog owners, they let their dog out(to roam while their on work) and ofc these dogs **** and pee all over the place. Who is gonna clean this mess? Noone , these turds is left in sun to stink the nabourhood for weeks til their gone from the rain or some other dog ate 'em all.

http://it.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080805020406AAcZG1R Some random read i found about chaining dogs in italy. Its pretty much legal till the dog aint hurt hugely or ain't having any water. And if someone is reporting like i do, it takes a long time as first the "local police" need to inspect and then if they think its needed a vet will come to do some tests.. Bullshit law. First VET then Police to remove... :( A friend of dad got this labrador now hes old cocker spaniel died 2years young(was in chain). Guess what, this dog is gonna have the same fate. And i reported that friend of dads 3 times allready, might help him that hes a hunting partner of the firedepartment group here.. Corrupt yes.

#11 Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009
  12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Do you have organisations like the RSPCA or dog wardens? Perhaps you can ring these people?

13. Varkhond

Yeah we got the animal protection group E.N.P.A. ( l'Ente Nazionale Protezione Animali ), but my experience is their way undermanned and doesnt have any real power. It was with their help i got the boxer free tough. :)

The rules for the chain itself is.

1) Have to be 3, 6 or 8 meter long with a ring(to prevent suffocating). This is depending on the law in the town you live in. (i have never seen a chain longer then 2-3meter). And whats more funny, most chained dogs got owners with huge gigantic gardens.

2) The chain have to be secured in a place without any obstacles so the dog cant get cought running around a pole or something. All dog's i see here is chained with a tiny chain to their doghouse.

Also, before reporting one must be 100% sure the dog aint granted even 5minutes time to run around the garden. That is enough to make it legal, even if the 2 points ain't met. The enforcer will just tell the owner to buy a longer chain or whatever, and then it will take endless time to make them come and inspect again.

edit.. i'm unemployed atm, i could try sign up for volunteer work with enpa, god i feel ashamed now. Oh well first thing tomorrow. :)

#13 Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009
  14. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Ear cropping like tail docking serves no useful purpose in the modern world.

With fighting dogs ears cropped close to the dog's head meant an opponent couldn't grab hold of them during a fight.

During the early Victorian era and before many dogs ears were cropped simply as a wim. I collect old dog books and have pictures of Pugs with cropped ears. This obviously served no practical purpose whosoever.

I used to argue with the then President of the Dobermann club about ear cropping. He felt Dobes looked better with cropped ears. I argued that if Herr Dobermann wanted a dog with prick ears he should have bred for prick ears rather than mutilating dogs with a natural drop ear.

Cropping is actually far worse than tail docking as it is performed when the pups are older. Usually after weaning. Around 12 weeks of age I think. Then the ears have to be trained to stand up. Cruel and pointless IMO.

With tail docking I believe this became popular hundreds of years ago when a tax was put on dogs' tails. Afterwards it became fashion and some people still support it even today.

We humans really should hang our heads in shame at the senseless mutilations and cruelties we have inflicted on dogs for countless generations.

15. Varkhond

Thank you for the comment! :)

16. rona

rona Guest

Have you seen our Animal Welfare act? It's supposed to be law but it still doesn't protect a lot of animals here :(

17. Varkhond

Yeah i have, the reason laws fail is because they ain't enforced well. We need more power to people who give a crap, not some dumb (sorry) donut eating lazy cop who got 1000 other human cases to think about. :(

Animal police, with vows and all just make it volunteer work and were good to go. My idea of a perfect world, but irl we got organisations with close to no power, or endless paperwork to do before action.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice