Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crittertrails?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Cherpi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

My hamster Buster had one, and also Shaun had one... (the smallest, one had a wheel on top and one didn't) but are they decent? as I'm allowed a hamster when we move (so not poppy :'( ) I want a new cage.. and Crittertrails are nice looking. if I was to get one I'd probably get the biggest (3 levels)

Superpet Critter Trail Three Hamster Cage

See next post for edit.

#1 Cherpi, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

no, they are expensive death traps

you need at least 2-3 to make a decent sized set up

the tubes are too small for most fully grown syrian hamsters
    the top petting zone areas are very poorly ventilated and there are multiple cases of hamsters actually suffocating in them, after kicking bedding down the tubes and becoming stuck

there is very little open plan floor space to add toys

3. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I was actually re-considering and thought, I could get a two to start with, and then get a mini to add on, and put a separate house in that for the little hammie to sleep in, but after that I think not.

EDIT:

What about Rotastak's, would this cage be okay as a starter
    http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=453&pf_id=3018

#3 Cherpi, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. siberiankiss

siberiankiss PetForums Senior

I think the reason that Crittertrails sell so well is quite simply because they add a novelty factor to the owning of a small animal. I can't actually see any benefit for a hamster living in one.

The Rotastak seems slightly better - but it's still not something I would keep my hamster in.

Hamsters are active; a lot more active than people assume! They are grateful for a lowish level cage with a mass of floor space - as much as you can offer them. They're not bothered about fancy colours or tubes or little 'add ons'.

I would start off by measuring the area in which you are planning to keep your hamster (which I suppose you can't do right now due to not living there yet!) and then see which cages fit in that spot - and get the biggest one you can afford (floor space wise, height isn't important).

5. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I know how big the bedroom will be, I'm only having a bed, desk and my degu cage... there is a huge amount of space because my clothes will be in boxes under my bed xD

I have read some reviews and people say that the rotastak are really big, I'm not in it for the colours or add ons, I just want my hamster to have the best, what cage would you recommend :)?

6. siberiankiss

siberiankiss PetForums Senior

Of course I'm biased because it's the cage I have - but I would have to recommend the Hagen Big One/Alexander. It's the biggest cage I could find (that had bar spacing small enough for hamsters). It's an amazing cage - I love it and so does Bobby.

The Criceti 15 is also a nice looking cage and was one I was contemplating before they brought the Big One back (they stopped selling it for a while).

Alexander/Big One:

[​IMG]

7. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I don't think I could afford a £100 cage, I think £50 is pushing it tbh... but I can always wait a bit... I may look into the Criceti 15..., although I was set on a Rotastak after giving them a bit of research.

8. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

rotastack are even worse then CT, while they dont have the imeadtiate death threat that the CT petting zone poses, overall they are worse

the tubes are narrower, worse for a syrian
    even less open plan floor space
    over all the WHOLE of the cage is much more poorly ventilated, which in summer posses a huge health risk to the inhabitants from humidity and condensation build up, this also encourages mould growth
    you defiantly need at least 3 units to start with to provide a decent amount of space
    theres no where to fit a decent sized syrian wheel (8") the rainbow runner wheels it comes with are too small for syrians, as are the internal ones you sometimes get in the round units

9. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Meh, I'll save up for the one suggested above then haha.

10. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Also the Cambridge is quite popular and around 50 squid.
    (I dont think you would get a decent sized one any cheaper then that..not new anyways).

12. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I have a Cambridge think it cost me about £30.00 with P&P.. off Ebay.. great place to get cages..
    One went on their the other week for a tenner.. :eek: I nearly bid.. but collection only.. Now if you do find one like that I always think that maybe someone on here local may pick it up for you if you ask and then send on.. If you send the money for P&P.. :)

13. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I actually have a Savic in my cupboard, it's the one from Pets at Home, with the tubes coming out... it's got one red shelf and the bottom is blue... I bought it over a year ago with loads of other crap for £40, do you think that cage would be okay for now? I may buy enother and attach them together... not sure. It's a pretty cheap cage anyway.

14. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Sounds like that one you have is the Savic Peggy Metro. I've got one as part of Starlyte's cage, she's got another cage attached as well.

Crittertrail tubes are the same diameter as Savic tubes, however I find the cages aren't made as well. Also only the old Crittertrail Outlook cage is big enough for a syrian. My syrian Smokey sleeps in one, but she has a cage full of toys attached and a larger external wheel.

My russian lives in a rotastak, but obviously she's much smaller than a syrian. I don't think their as bad as people make out. But you're looking at a lot more than £50 for a halfway decent rotastak setup - you'd need a £15 external Habitrail wheel too or attach a bin cage, otherwise there'd be nowhere to put a wheel.

Personally I wouldn't keep a syrian in a Savic Cambridge on it's own either, but I know others recommend them. My syrian Bandit has one, but I attached a Imac Fantasy onto it.

I'd use the Savic cage you've got an just attach and extension onto the tubes - either a bin cage or another wired cage (or even the Crittertrail 3 - though you can get better cages cheaper than that).

15. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I think I may just buy two of the Savics and attatch them together, that or get a Crittertrail outlook... hmm

16. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Hamsters are happier with a cage with a single large footprint, it makes it easier for placing toys too, the Hagen Big1 is a fantastic cage (best out there imo), but it will probably be easier to scour ebay for hamster heavens or zoozones or furplast Marys, they are a bit easier to get hold of and are great for hamsters.

17. MummyD

MummyD PetForums Junior

I know its an old post but I googles large cages for hamsters and came across this image, and forum, and I have just bought the Alexander large cage for my pet hammy from zooplus and it should be coming today, I can not wait to see my hammy running around having so much space, Thank you for the recommendation of this cage

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

its lovely to see people taking notice of these posts and taking the advice :)

post some pics of your hammy enjoying it when it comes we all love photos x

19. MummyD

MummyD PetForums Junior

Oh I will do, I am like a big kid waiting for xmas........lol, its still not here yet, I can not believe the cage we got recommended for her she is a Syrian hammy all though she is only 10 wks old and small, but cage is tiny for her breed, so I checked and checked and this cage looks huge for one little hamster but I just know she will grow into her new home and will love it

20. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

If only everyone did this then there would be a lot more contented hamsters out there :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice