Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Critter nation

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Wobbles, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

Since the thread got closed before I had an answer,does anyone here have or have had the single level critter nation cage for rats? Is it suitable?

I just want to know about the cage, I don't need nor want you all telling me to move out, or my housing is inadequate, or my animals are suffering. I am quite frankly sick of being made to feel like the sort of cruel people the RSPCA remove pets from. I have never met anyone who has a problem with any of my setups, nor has any complaints about my pets. My pets are all healthy and happy and a damn site better off than many others, in fact their kept better than some people. It took me months to pluck up the courage to post here again, but it seems like "second chances" are non existent here. I am on a lot of different forums and I've never had the slightest bit of trouble with any of them,except here. And only on the rodent/rabbit section. Is it because I won't bend to everyone's liking? Because I can't go out and buy a bigger shed, magically making it fit where the other is? Because I don't spend silly on them anymore after getting into big problems doing so in the past? Because I don't dot every 'i' and cross every 't' in the rulebook? I have never ever done anything to anyone here, I joined up because I thought it was a friendly place where everyone wanted to discuss their pets, not get ripped to shreds for the cage being 5" too small. I have just struggled to get home with a bale of aubiose on my bike, so I can clean my animals out this afternoon, if I didn't care about them I would of left them be till next week when I'd get a lift, not made myself a joke to anyone passing. You think I'm childish? I'm not the one ganging up on someone through the safety of the computer screen. Why don't you go look in the mirror, I'm sure your not perfect either, but we'll forget that shall we? After all your all friends with friends, and I learnt long ago in the playground that "friends stick together":rolleyes:

2. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

#2 polishrose, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

What about a Jenny?

4. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

Actually the Critter Nation is basically 1/2 an explorer so technically it should fit up to 6 rats. Personally I wouldn't keep more than 3 in it, so Wobbles could use it.

5. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

No its too small. There are loads that are bigger that are cheaper. Jenny cage is good!!

The problem is hun you don't listen to advice. People have bothered to write long replies to your threads and yet they are ignored. And you quite often side with people who clearly don't truly care about the welfare of their animals. I for one am not doubting that you do not care about your animals, but you have proven that you have not researched those animals meaning you are not prepared for them. You have a problem with cold dark places (sorry I don't understand it...I meant to look it up) yet you can't keep the animals in the house, only in a shed, meaning you have to face those demons everyday....this is not someone who has planned ahead. If you can't house them you shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Rats particularly are sociable animals and will not be achieving their full potential in a shed.

This site is not prone to ganging up on people, but you do not help yourself. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but you cannot get offended by people expressing their own counter-opinions.

6. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

6?In the single level one? Looks far too small for that.And I would be happy following the guidelines on the page I linked which says 2 only.

7. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

#7 Wobbles, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  8. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

You're looking at the wrong one. You're looking at the Critter 1 not the Critter Nation.

ETA: I wouldn't stick too firmly to those guidelines either tbh.

#8 chrisd, Nov 14, 2012
  9. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Oops-thank you-I've not seen any of these in person so assumed it was that one,sorry.

10. salemsparklys

Is it the one with 2 chins in it?

11. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

Yeah but it would only be half of that. I'd say it's big enough for 3 rats, definitely not 6 though.

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

#12 Wobbles, Nov 14, 2012
  13. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

For the price of that cage, and considering its size on the stand, could you not fit in an explorer with the stand taken off? This reduces the size of an explorer quite dramatically so that's always worth a thought.

I'd advise you not to get that cage because there are other which are much better value for money which may me better fitting to your shed. The tom rat cage is quite big I believe and you can get it brand new on ebay buy it now for £60.

Critter Nations are imported from America which is why the price tag is so high, it's a waste of money to be perfectly honest.

14. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

I always thought the CNs looked tiny in the photos and how anyone kept 12 in it was beyond me. But now I have an Aventura which despite the slightly different setup is the same size. Personally I wouldn't keep 12 in a double, 8 or 9 seems to be max for me do I would suggest 4 would be perfectly fine in a single level CN.
    If you need to lose a bit of height you can take the cage off the stand but honestly it won't be a problem for yours (you have 3 I believe?)
    The CNs are much bigger in real life than they look (which is why I had to get rid of my dining table :eek: )

ETA: ooo yes a Tom would be lovely. I have one and I love it. It's up to you what you spend your money on but a CN would be fine if you choose to go that route.
    However, remembering what you said about your last cage the pans are shallow still so you'll have the same problem

#14 Maltey, Nov 14, 2012
  15. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

That's what I mean...you have not prepared for your animals. Wait till you have grown up, got your own place and then you can have them in your house etc.

Anyways this is my last post...you are a kid. I still feel bad for you rats.

16. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

when i lived with my parents i asked for 2 pet rats they said no. i didnt go out and buy any without telling them, there house there rules. i waited until i was 20, until i had moved into my own flat, and 2 days later i bought 2 rats. 4 years later ive owned 56 rats.

17. salemsparklys

I havent seen that cage in the flesh so no idea how it looks size wise without this chins in it, but with them in it looks quite small. I have a Jenny and it has a deep base, you can pick them up 2nd hand for £30-£40 and I think brand new are about £80ish.

18. Wobbles

Wobbles Banned

#18 Wobbles, Nov 14, 2012
  19. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

Yes you can Wobbles

20. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

why is the cage you have not good enough. just add more toys. if you are worried about subtrate on the floor make a skirting to go around the cage to stop it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice