Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Criticism from neighbour :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by K@tie, Oct 22, 2020.

1. K@tie

K@tie PetForums Newbie

I hope some more experienced cat owners can help me! I’m really feeling down.

My partner and I recently rescued a 3/4 year old ginger cat. She’s really sweet and I feel has settled in super well. She’s been vaccinated and living with us for around a month. She used to be an indoor/outdoor cat and so after a few weeks we began to accompany her outside. She built up her confidence and gradually began to explore on her own... although she would come back and check on us regularly!

After she’d been out on her own for a couple of days my partner sways a lady who lives along the road asked him whether he knew of a little ginger cat. He said she was ours and she asked him earnestly whether our cat was blind. Clearly she isn’t but he was very concerned! She said the cat had been miaowing on their doorstep and when her husband opened the door she bathed in, walked into a couch, was picked up and put out by her husband and then seemed to walk off into a tree! I was worried but know she isn’t blind!

Tonight a lady knocked on my door when my partner wasn’t honey and asked me if I knew anything about a little ginger cat. I said that we have a little ginger cat. She immediately started ranting at me in a forceful way about how we weren’t looking after her properly, she was “straying” all over the place (gesturing to the street), that people had been concerned about her... she said she thought she looked thin and had almost been run over yesterday when she’d been out with the dog. I assured her she was well cared for and had a cat flap... but I was mostly just feeling awful and shocked.

She wandered off still ranting - “You MUST look after your cat!”

I’m looking for some advice regarding for how long I should let me cat out via the cat flap. My partner and I work ten-hour shifts four or five days a week, mostly at the same time, so we thought a cat flap would give her a nice level of freedom. She still loves cuddles and napping in the house, but clearly enjoys nipping in and out. Should we be limiting her time outside (daytime or nighttime only? Only an hour or so at a time?)

Our cat has literally just been to the vet and we were told she was a good weight and in good health.

My partner has since suggested that the lady might actually be the same one, as both had similar hair, were of a similar age and both appear to have dogs (he knows the lady he spoke to has a dog).

If it is the same lady she basically feigned ignorance regarding the ownership of the cat when she chapped my door, as she had already been told by my partner that she belongs to us. So strange and so worried I’m somehow either endangering my lovely cat or this lady is seriously weird and might steal her!

Advice?

Xx

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Betty6691, vivien, chillminx and 3 others like this.
  3. K@tie

K@tie PetForums Newbie

What is the reason for that?

In the first incident with the neighbour, we were actually in when this happened.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What is the reason for what? Cat proofing so your cat is kept safe (and does not bother the neighbors?) I think it is obvious , the reason for that. So you want to know why not to let your cat roam if you aren't home? So that if she is injured or has an accident and tries to come home someone is there to help her.

Keep her contained. Then the neighbors won't be complaining about your care of her and she will be safe from the many dangers of free roaming.

5. K@tie

K@tie PetForums Newbie

Wow. Thanks for giving me advice in such a compassionate way.

6. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

I think the reply was well intentioned above if perhaps not delivered with finesse...

I would be concerned about this neighbour, and your cat going into her house if it's TRUE.
    Are you on good terms with your other neighbours to.make.sure.they all know.the cats is yours?
    Maybe ask them about the neighbour aswell in case shes the local crazy
    Is she chipped and with a collar id? I'm assuming spayed.
    I'm.not sure about female ginger cats but I've definitely found males roam and can.be more of a worry. Is the area safe noain roads etc? I would advise.you to keep her in at night, there are bad people around.
    Sorry for typos I'm on a tiny keyboard!!

vivien, Trixie1 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm not answering for @lorilu as she will , I'm, sure be along herself , but the way I see this is that something about your cats behaviour has triggered "concern" with either this neighbour or a few neighbours which you have said yourself could lead to something more serious.
    Keeping your cat safe in a cat proofed garden would be your best bet and by not allowing her to roam whilst you are out of the house means that if ,god forbid , something were to happen to her you are there for her.

ewelsh, vivien, Trixie1 and 3 others like this.
  8. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Oh dear! I wonder if the lady really did see your dear cat nearly get run over by a car? It sounds like it, unfortunately. What’s the traffic like there? It sounds like your dear cat likes to have a bit of a wander and probably loves attention too & may get bored easily, and that’s why it wanders off all over the place. It’s probably very happy doing so too, but the question is, is it safe enough? Sorry if that’s not much help.

vivien likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@K@tie - as you and your partner are both out of the house for more than 10 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week, it's a long time to regularly leave a cat on their own. She may be a cat who is not used to being on her own all those hours.

I appreciate she has a cat flap to get back into her home, (hopefully a microchipped flap so no strange cats can get in the house). But she is likely to get lonely for human company and I expect the neighbour has seen her wandering around the neighbourhood and is worried about her, particularly if the cat is meowing at her door or sitting in the road.

Do you have things in the house your cat can amuse herself with while you are out? Cat nip toys, puzzle games you fill with treats,?

My advice would be to have a microchipped flap installed that can be set from your phone to give your cat periods of time out and periods of time shut indoors.

Of course you need her to come home if she is to be shut indoors so I would leave her 2 tasty wet meals in a timed autofeeder, so she will come to expect there is good food worth going home for.

O2.0, ewelsh, vivien and 3 others like this.
  10. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

If the lady did see what she claims to have seen i.e the cat walking into a sofa then a tree, I would be concerned that the cat had some sort of seizure, as this would leas to confusion and often blindness, or a lack of coordination directly following the event. Have you witnessed any odd behaviour from your cat at all??

It is possible that there are two ginger cats and now that she knows you have one, she is coming to you to complain about the other. If it was the same lady it is odd that she feigned ignorance of ownership, or indeed the previous conversation with your partner, but then again some people are a bit odd like that.

This may not be what you want to hear but honestly, I'd build or invest in a Catio system that your cat has access to via a cat flap. 1. It will keep your cat safe at all times of day. 2. It will stop your neighbour from being about to complain about the cat. 3. You will be able to relax.

Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Good point .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice