Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crispy Home-made dog treats (Flakey?)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rafferty, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Rafferty

Rafferty PetForums Newbie

Hello all - I am new here! So excited about my new recipe for home-made crispy dog treats I wanted to share it. My partner thinks I'm a bit bonkers but I do love to cook and be creative with food.

We had chicken curry last night and I cut the meat from the skin and bones to make it. I then boiled up a pan of water and put in the bones with all the gristle/cartilage, skin etc and simmered it for about an hour. Half-way through I added a small potato and about two handfuls of rice. I then carefully removed all the bones and put the rest (stock, meat, gristle, skin) in the blender to turn it into a fairly smooth puree. I then spread the puree over a couple of lined baking trays (I use silicone baking sheets to line them) and dried it out in the oven overnight on a very low heat (about 70 degrees). In the morning it was still a bit wet and I turned it over - it broke up a bit as the texture is quite crumbly - and continued drying it. Eventually it turned into dry flakes and I finished off with a light toasting under the grill so they were really crispy (about 1 - 2 mins only).

Result - Crispy chicken flavoured flakes which Rafferty (my 5 month old sheltie) adores :)

2. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Hhhmmmm sounds good to me and easy to make. I must have a go for our two.

3. Rafferty

Rafferty PetForums Newbie

Yes they are easy to make and you could use other leftover vegetables. I made another batch last week using the carcass of a roast duck and some left-over veggies. No rice went in that one and the resulting texture was less crumbly and more crispy - didn't need to toast it to make it crispy.

Next time I will try adding an egg or two - might hold together better.

Good luck with your own experiments!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice