Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crisis

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Pampered pets, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

well i went out to the little runt earlier, he was sat on his own away from others and breathing heavily and rasping, his eyes were half closed so rushed him to the vets.

She isnt sure if he has soemthing wrong with him and thats why mum left him on his own at the botom, when i put him near the others he just wonders off again.

He is on antibiotics but vet said if he dosnt stay with the others and i think mum is rejecting him i should take him to be put to sleep as its unlikely ill be able to hand rear him, she offered to put him to sleep this morning but i said no, i at least want to give him a chance so please send your love and prayers for him that he survives.

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

awwww i hope he will be ok.
    i had 1 that kept being thrown or wandering from the nest, i kept putting him back and he made it fine. but we didnt think he would as twice he was close to death with cold.

thinking of you little one, be strong and keep fighting.

3. Pampered pets

This is the little guy :(

[​IMG]

4. animallover111

Aww bless him......is there no way he can be hand reared? :(

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw hes so beautiful, put him back with the others bang in the middle so he cant wander off, maybe add more bedding to make a massive nest.

I'm sure if you hand reared him he'd be ok with formula milk and probiotics on top of mums milk hes looking pretty big already. In saying this I had one of 3 that suddenly seemed to catch a cold and sat himself in the corner away from the others, then i noticed the others seemed to push him around a little, took him to the vets straight away for antibiotics but he didnt recover.

6. Pampered pets

My vet wasnt hopeful, i have done exactly as you said :)

I cleaned out the bed completely, sorry if mum dosnt like it but it was disgusting and the amonia woudlnt be helping his chest and may ahve been the cause in the first place :-( really suprised by how dirty she is int he nest.

I bought the extra long type of hay that fluffs up really well and stays fluffed up and i put him right in the middle of the others ill go check in a min dont want to disturb hem to much though.

hand rearing is very very difficult, i tried with a day old guinea pig, got him to three weeks then he drowned on his milk, its not the same as a teat it comes out to quick and gets into their lungs, its very common.

he is only 16 days so sadly way to young not to feed from mum i can just try my best with him the rest is up to them :(

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

when i had to bottle feed i used a pet milk bottle (pets at home etc) with a teat on it and pushed a pin in it to make a small hole so that even when squeezing the bottle only drops of milk came out, very time consuming but worth it

8. animallover111

Good luck with him,your doing all you can for him.Please keep us up dated.Sorry i cant give you any helpful advice. :)

9. umber

umber PetForums VIP

awwww I hope the little guy makes it! Sending lots of good vibes to you!

I cant see the photo :(

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i posted this on the wrong thread lol

TBH im not convinced that his rate wouldnt be good. i was told that if baby gets to 2 weeks old where its eyes had opened and is moving around the survival rate is alot higher than if it hadnt been fed at all by mum.

im glad you gave it a chance, i do hope the littlen survives x

11. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Poor little guy. I am willing him to live. x x

12. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Nature tends to be right and if this little fellow is leaving the nest it is usually for a good reason.If he was healthy he would not do that .
    Sadly handrearing rabbits is not usually successful.
    You are giving him every chance you can and that is all you can do really.
    I hope against all odds he does do well for you.
    Keep us posted.

13. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Sending all my prayers for your little guy. Hope he makes it:(

14. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Sending positive thoughs and loads of healing vibes to you xxx

15. Pampered pets

HELP i dont know what to do :(

Twinkle is out of the nest again, this time snuggled up to mum and aunt on the top part of the hutch, gave him his meds which he hates bu he isnt looking good.

I cant keep him in the nest, if he comes out again in the night he will get cold, i have put hay on the bottom just in case but mum just collects it all and puts it in the nest box, was thinking of hanging a duvet down in front of the hutch so if he does get out again it will be a bit warmer????

If i bring him in he wont get fed and its very likely he wont survive plus i have nothing to feed him tonight....... oh i hate this thank the lord i dont breed.

16. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Is there anyway you can stop him coming down blocking up the place where the ramp is with a piece of wood card board?

Poor you!

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I hope it makes it its lovley

18. Pampered pets

no i dont really have anything to block it off with pus the top bit wont hold mum aunt and food bowl, mum has left the hay downstairs for now anyway and i have hung a duvet over the hutch so fingers crossed if he does leave the nest he will get to the hay or at least be sheltered from the wind and rain.

He is still in the nest at the moment so fingers crossed, probably be up and down checking all night.

19. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

I hope he survives, you are doing all you can!!
    When my rabbit had babies i screwed in a bit of wood in the bed part so that the babies couldnt get out of the warm corner but mum could get in. Maybe try making a lil cardboard nesting box and put all the babies in it.. this would stop the lil one from escaping all the time..

20. frags

frags PetForums VIP

this is what i did, i put a 4" high bit of ply that mum could hop over but babies cant get out of.
    can you do this to the hutch?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice