Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crested Gecko or Bearded Dragon?

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by LaironLizard, Dec 18, 2019.

1. LaironLizard

LaironLizard PetForums Newbie

So I have never owned a lizard or reptile before but I am planning to get one however I am stuck on whether to get a crested Gecko or Bearded dragon. Which lizard is a better choice for a beginner?

Thank you very much!
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I do still have school from about 7:50am to 3:00pm and sometimes even till 4pm or 7pm depending on extra murals.Will those times work out and will I still be able to give proper care to a lizard if I were to get one?

#1 LaironLizard, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. LaironLizard

LaironLizard PetForums Newbie

3. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

Both make excellent first time lizards. :)

If you are wanting to handle the lizard, I would suggest a bearded dragon. Although both can be handled, crested geckos come with the risk of dropping their tails.. which don't grow back. Not that this affects their health, just thinking as a first time reptile owner, it might not be something you want to be dealing with right away. Also, crested geckos tend to spend much of their time hidden away.
    A bearded dragon would be most active in the day time, while you're at school, where as crested geckos are most actively of an evening / night time.

When you say school, do you mean SCHOOL or college, university etc? Just trying to figure out your age..

assuming you are still in SCHOOL..

If you do not have a job, who is going to pay for all the required equipment, enclosure, food, vet bills etc ?

Exotic vets can be very costly! Will your parents be willing to drop everything and pay out to take your sick lizard to the vet if the situation ever arises ?

Also, their lifespan is something to consider. What will you be doing once you finish school, do you plan to go to university, moving out etc? The lizard will still be very much alive in a few years time.. what do you plan to do with them?

Holidays, will your parents be willing to pay for a pet sitter or exotic boarding? Do you have family would be willing to take of them? (which would include handling and feeding live insects).

Not to put you off but just a few realistic things to think about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice