Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cremation

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by margy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. margy

margy PetForums Senior

Sorry if this is sounding morbid , but I was wondering how do you go about having your dog cremated. My last dog Barney was pts at home and our lovely neighbour buried him in our garden for us as we couldn't face doing it ourselves. We planted a camellia bush on the grave. Because of this I don't know how you go about getting a pet cremated. Does your vet arrange it or do you have to do it yourself? Not that I'm planning on arranging a one anytime soon God willing.

2. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Member

We had to have Bella pts at the vets in an emergency situation, the vet did everything for us (it unfortunately had to be out of hours but they were amazing). I would say however when we got Bella home there was the certificate of creation and I googled them. It said they had a chapel of rest and you could even see if your pet if you would want. I wouldn't have wanted to see Bella but it may have been nice to be there for her final journey. She was cremated at Whitley brook in Runcorn, and you can make arrangements directly with them

margy likes this.
  3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Not a dog, but my cat I had pts in August was euthanised at home by a company called Dignipets.

They took her away afterwards for individual cremation at Prestwood Crematorium in Stourbridge, but I believe you can contact them directly yourselves.

margy likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We had Amber and Dillon cremated, Amber died at the vets, Dillon the vet came to us, in both cases the vet arranged everything for us, we picked their Ashes up about a week later and are side by side in the garden with plants on top and a solar light on each so there is lights glowing in the garden at night.

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I had Tango cremated last year by a small private company called 'At Rest'. We brought her back from the OOH vet and in the morning I phoned the company, a husband and wife team who also run a wedding company ( ! ) and the wife came out to collect her . She was so lovely, kind, compassionate and friendly and seemed really caring. We wrapped Tango in her favourite blanket and she laid her on the seat next to her in her van.
    The next day she messaged me to say that she had given her a little wash and brush to prepare her for her final journey to Rainbow Bridge , she would be cremated later that day , and we could pick her ashes up when we were ready.
    The ashes were presented in a pretty cardboard tube with a certificate of cremation and we had a small clipping of her fur to make into a bead.
    ( I'm crying my eyes out writing this )
    We bought a pretty yellow rose bush and big pot and buried the ashes under the rose.

If you google local pet crematorium you should find a similar set-up near you. I had already been aware of this service through Facebook and knew we would use them for Tango, it's much better to have plans in place because when the awful time comes you don't want to be searching. IMG_20190827_094849_resized_20190827_095245772.jpg

IMG_20190827_094832_resized_20190827_095107227.jpg

6. margy

margy PetForums Senior

Thankyou @SusieRainbow, I'm also close to tears reading this. What a lovely caring and sympathetic company that sounds to be. I'm not on Facebook to find out these things. As you say it's best to have plans in place, I don't know if there are any companies like this where I live I suppose I need to go online and look or enquire at the vets. Thanks everyone for your responses.

7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I’ve got the details of a private company saved. They have a room where you can stay as long as you like or they will organise to pick them up from your house. There is a council run one at the country park where I go frequently but I don’t think I’d want to go there afterwards. I wanted it planned in advance so I don’t have to decide at the time.

margy likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The vets sorted it out for us I made them promise Lily would be cremated on her own not with others. We choose her box and I took her toys to go with her. I didn't want to bury her incase we moved (which I did). She has come with me to the new house.

lullabydream and margy like this.
  9. margy

margy PetForums Senior

Yes that's the drawback of garden burials, although we've no plans to move in the near future. I'm glad Lily is still with you, it's a comfort to have them close. I speak to Barney when I'm gardening and keeping his little plot tidy

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  10. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Member

We have Bella's ashes in her box in the living room. I often have a hold of them. On the 23rd of December it will be a year and our plan is to plant a Christmas tree in the garden on her anniversary

11. margy

margy PetForums Senior

This is Barneys plot in the corner of our garden 20190910_145111.jpg

12. Maria_1986

Maria_1986 Crazy Guinea Pig Lady

I have had my cats cremations arranged by the vets and then collected their ashes a week or so later. For Chevy however I just couldn't bare the thought of her not being at home so we took her to the crematorium ourselves (we used a company called dignity) and had a same day cremation where we picked her ashes up about 4-5 hours later. They were so nice, respectful and understanding about everything. They took a paw print and a fur clipping for us (I now have the paw print tattooed on my leg so she always walks with me) and made an awful day easier.

Chevy loved the vets and was happy and comfortable there (I used to work there so she was used to being there and loved it) so I chose to take her there for a final visit, via Macdonald's for the cheese burger I'd promised her years before when she had been looking sad as we had stopped at a drive though and didn't share.

It will be a year since that day on Thursday and pre planning did make it easier to deal with.

Bugsys grandma and margy like this.
  13. OwnedByTerrierists

OwnedByTerrierists PetForums Junior

When Stan our little terrier was tragically killed in an accident we contacted a private crematorium.It was near Chepstow somwhere, we took him ourselves, they had a little Chapel of rest where we took him and said goodbye.. I'm crying thinking about it and it was over 3 years ago! They were lovely and even gave us a free upgrade on the box for the ashes, we have a lovely urn with his name on. The ashes were delivered to our local vet a week later. I would use them again definitely.. Hopefully we won't have to for a long time though.

margy likes this.
  14. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

First of our dogs died suddenly at home aged 5 I'd already decided cremation over burial (just as well on clay & frozen at time). The service our vets use had just done a collection & wouldn't be another for a week/2 so went with a vet nurses recommended of local crematorium.

We took our dog straight there and while we filled out paperwork, offered tea & comforting words, they laid the dog out in a homely room (if wanted) so we could spend time with them beforehand. I went with scatter tubes & they did even offer to transfer if I bought an urn/ box elsewhere.

The ashes were available to collect the following day & came with a card, seeds, paw imprint & fur in little bottle which was a nice touch. I didn't think return time would matter much initially but I felt better having them back home & I was very relieved wasn't a fortnight nor had to go to our very busy/chaotic vets to collect. The people were lovely & I wonder if maybe same as PP as its beautiful rural location that's now also a wedding venue.

Although we would've gone for convenient vet option. I think sending off to an unknown place would've been hard at that time mainly as not long before one in area had been in news found to using bonfire/dumping after equipment broke down. We could view the cremation for fee (presumable as they have to supervise then) to be 100% sure its your pet, but having seen the set up & met people involved felt at ease.

I've used same company with 2 more dogs since, one planned PTS & vet came out, another emergency pts at vets but because I have multiple dogs I prefer to take them home initially so others know they've died not disappeared. They did offer a collection service from vets. The cost weren't much more than vets service, but the personal touch made a real difference to me in those tough times.

#14 2Hounds, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:10 AM
    margy and Bugsys grandma like this.
  15. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

We've been using a local private pet crematorium for our dogs for over 15 years. So far they've done 8 of our dogs. The animals are all cremated separately if that's what one wants, we always do, or a cheaper option is to have them done with a few other animals.

They are the nicest people, it's a family run business, in a beautiful quiet setting. I've always felt a sense of peace and almost relief the minute we drive through the gate.
    We have always taken our dogs there ourselves but I believe they do collect if needed.
    There's a lovely room where they lay the dog and cover them with a blanket and they allow as much time as you need to say goodbye.
    If you arrive with your animal before 2 pm you can collect the ashes the same day.
    I would never take my animals anywhere else.
    It's a bit more expensive than just leaving them at the vets, but I have a special savings account with money that just sits in it and is forgotten about, just for their very last journey. I don't want to be having to worry that I may not have the money to pay for that when the time comes.
    Hoping to not have to see them for a very very long time now.

Boxer123 and margy like this.
  16. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Find out if there is a pet crematorium in your area that does individual cremations, rather than mass ones. Our last two girl went from the same wonderful place & the funeral car came and picked them up just like a human funeral. We could have gone to their chapel of rest but decided not to. Their ashes were returned in a beautiful casket & I also had Daisy's pawprint taken as well at the time. Scampi's ashes were scattered at her favourite walk & Daisy's will be later this Autum in the same area.

margy likes this.
  17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The vet arranged Ziggy's cremation. I didn't go for individual cremation, or have ashes back. She was gone, I have memories and photos, I don't need a pot of grit.
    I took my other dogs to the vet and brought them into the consulting room so they could sniff the body once Ziggy had died. Then I took them on Zig's favourite walk, played all her favourite games in sequence along it with them.

Blitz and margy like this.
  18. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I will be contacting a private crematorium when Missy passes as I want an individual cremation and I've heard that the vets mass cremate which would be understandable, but means I would feel like I didn't get my dog back :(

DaisyBluebell and margy like this.
  19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Check with your vets, mine offer both but I was intrigued by this thread. So I used Google. Unless the prices haven't been updated I can get a single cremation from a private company pretty much what the vets charge for a group cremation.

Has anyone also got a natural burial area where they are? Woodland type thing? Ours offers pet burials too, so if you want your pets with you when you die. It's worth looking into. As we were all horrified about the media story where a dog was put to sleep after the owner passed away to be buried with her, and actually couldn't be.

margy likes this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My dog walker worked at the vets and I checked this wouldn't happen we paid to have her cremated separately with her bird and her ball do ask them.

margy and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice