Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crazy nights

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by mzindependantuk, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mzindependantuk

mzindependantuk PetForums Newbie

Hi i took in a nine week kitten in but alas it didnt work out with my twin boy cats, they started straying (both neutered), so after a week my friend offered to adopt her as their ten year old cat had lost its friend and was lonely.
    They have had her five weeks now and she is getting worst, initially they let her in the bedroom but she woke up at 4am and started charging around the 1 bed house keeping my friend awake, so they put her out the bedroom but she goes mad around the rest of the house.
    She is jumping on the other cat now being a right bully and still waking every at 4am going mad for an hour or so, my friend is now considering rehoming again unless we can sort out this early morning problem.
    Please does anyone have any suggestions???
    Sarah

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

She sounds like a normal kitten to me! I doubt she is "bullying" their cat but actually wants to play. I always think if possible kittens should go in pairs as waking the owners up at 3-4am seems to be the norm unless they have another kitty to play with.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i agree. we've had sheldon nearly 7 months and he is nearly 1 year old and he is jst startin to settle down in the bedroom. he came from a household with 2 other cats and durin the nite they jst used to play. cats are naturally nocturnal so unless you get lucky like my friend at work whos cat goes to bed when they does and doesnt get up till they do then this is normal behaviour.

could your friend not put the kitten in a room for the nite so shes not boundin round the whole house?

4. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Alfie is always up at 4am - dashing around the house like a loony. The others are always asleep at this time so he doesn't have anyone to play with - he fights cardboard boxes, his litter tray and usually my husbands toes instead! :D

Its part and parcel of having kittens - especially if you are going to let them in the bedroom. If Alfie was quiet as this time i'd worry!! I love hearing him dash around!

There's not one thing that annoys me about my cats - the noise, the mess the crazy running around, kicking litter all over my just vaccumed carpet!

Kittens want to play, want to have fun, its lovely to watch them running around meowing and chatting as they do. I think your friend should just accept this is normal behaviour and start to see the little kittens personality. It wouldnt be fair to rehome it just because its active, the poor thing wont know if its coming or going!

5. catbasket

catbasket PetForums Member

... and they sound quite sensible -

We usually get woken up around 6am coz Phili wants a cuddle!

6. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Sadly this is not the case... I just posted that BOTH of mine are waking me up at 4am, 5am, 6am and more... driving me mad! They're staying out the bedroom tonight!!!! Just need earplugs for the meowing and scratching at the door!!!!

Still I at least I know it's normal now.

mzindependantuk - ours is a 1 bed bungalow so they don't even have stairs to negotiate to get to our room... might have to start being firm with them... I just love waking up in the morning with a cat snuggled up to me...

I guess they'll be old a lot longer than they will be kittens so I have to make the most of it :)

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Well you are obviously letting them play in your bedroom :rolleyes: no wonder they are waking you.

8. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Yes, our house it tiny and I really dislike having doors closed (lazy you see) so they have the run of the house. My cats always have.

They are barred from the bathroom after we had our very own andrex kitty!!!!

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

haha Yes I think all kitties love andrex! Do you plan on letting them outside when they are older? They would no doubt leave you in peace and go hunting /playing.

10. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

My BSH is seven months now and still dashing and crashing around the house at 4, 5 and 6am...lol...I read somewhere that cats are very active at sunrise!
    I don't mind too much as I can switch off and ignore it most of the time unless she's attacking my feet!
    :D Then she gets shut out of the bedroom to behave like a looney around the rest of the house.
    My only concern is that she may hurt herself as she can be a bit clumsy and is not the most delicate of cats..lol...she is so heavy footed!
    :D
    I do hope you can keep your little kitten as it does seem to be very normal for her behave in that way...maybe just shut her out of the bedroom.

11. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Yes, they will be going out so, as you say, they will be burning that energy off outside. I do wonder if our house has got too small for them now and they want to go further... but not yet, tooooo young!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice