Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crazy Duo

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by 4nimalL0ver, Aug 14, 2019.

1. 4nimalL0ver

4nimalL0ver PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I’m new to this forum - and so don’t know if I’m doing this correctly.
    I have 5 dogs. 3 are primarily indoor, and 2, outdoor during the day.
    I separate the three dogs when everyone is out for the day at work - 1 in the lounge, and 2 in the kitchen. My terrier is kept in a large crate as he tends to nip my older collie if he gets angsty.

Recently, my older collie has started shredding everything he can in the kitchen, from dog food bags, to clothing!

I’m assuming it’s due to the terrier barking at anything going on outside of the kitchen, or due to my two dogs outside possibly barking. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to help him to calm down?

Many thanks!

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

How old is your Collie?

3. 4nimalL0ver

He’s 16/17, so rather old...

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A trip to your vets with your old collie wouldn't be a bad idea as it could well be canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia) in a dog of that age. How long is it since he had a check up? My old collies have an annual check up and full blood test from about 12 years onward.

5. 4nimalL0ver

He was recently at the vets for a small operation on his jaw as he had an infected tooth. The veterinarian had said his health was excellent. You’re probably right about the dementia - we think he’s also gone partially deaf as he no longer stresses about fireworks or barks at the postman!

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

niamh123 and Twiggy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice