Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crazy Cocker Spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sheilam, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sheilam

Sheilam PetForums Newbie

Crazy Cocker Spaniel!
    Hi everyone, I am new here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place!

I have a bit of a problem! I have a 6 year old, male, solid coloured working cocker spaniel. Admittedly we didn't stick with dog training for very long so he's not as well behaved as some. I think we thought we could do it ourselves! With him being our first dog that was a very silly thing to do. On the whole he is a lovely dog, very loving, very exciteable. He never sits still! He does get a lot of exercise but it's mostly free play as he is so incredibly strong it is almost impossible to walk him on a lead.

My partner is much more confident around him and is definitely more of a pack leader than myself. Anyway, here's the problem. He appears to have funny turns. I can't really explain them. For example he will be playing happily with my Aunt's dog when all of a sudden he begins to get more aggressive. He doesn't bite but there's a definite aggressive bark. Then he runs around the garden at top speed. It stops after a minute or so but it's a little strange.

He can be dreadful when in the car. If somebody walks past the aggressive barking starts again, even if it is somebody he knows. He's pretty temperamental, some days he won't bother barking at passers by?! The latest thing is we can be sitting in the kitchen area with him, if anyone moves to go to the door he goes crazy. It's a recent occurrence but I don't like it. He barks aggressively, as soon as you stand near the door or walk past it on the other side. It's a glass door so he can see through it. He will do this to all of us, it's very odd. I am reaching the stage where I don't want to enter the room as he does the same then. When you enter the room after this crazy barking he doesn't attack but I'm very wary. I have thought it may be cocker rage however after reading up on it I am not quite sure. He has never actually bitten anyone.

He has been neutered, only fairly recently and the vet put him on Xanax twice a day. We are waiting on a referral from a behaviourist/vet. In the meantime could somebody please advise?!!

Thank you for reading

Sheila

I should mention, he has been looked after by my aunt and parents for the last few months as I have been in hospital. We have thought it could be the change in living space but I highly doubt it as he is always either at my Aunt's or parent's house when I have been at work. Even though the door incident is new he has always had this tendency to bark aggressively even at home. For example if we are upstairs and he can see us from downstairs the barking starts again.

#1 Sheilam, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I know it sounds funny, but from what you've said, it doesn't sound as if your dog has any down time. Time alone or in rest.

Do you ever just sit and stare while out for a walk with the dog next to you?

Have you a crate or area that your dog settles to rest or sleep?

Over stimulation can cause all sorts of issues.

3. CockersIndie

CockersIndie PetForums VIP

Definitely agree.

Equally, he is bred to work. Do you channel any of his brain power? Food toys, find it games etc. I think that would help, give him a job to do- whilst encouraging quiet time!

4. Sheilam

Sheilam PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your response. Yes, he does have time alone to rest. He has a fixed bedtime which he sticks to.

We do try to play lots of games with him but could probably do even more. It's tricky! We took him to a game area for dogs but he got a bit over excited!!

Thanks for the tips xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice