Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crating

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ChaKira, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ChaKira

ChaKira PetForums Senior

Today is the first time I'm crating my dogs while I go to work - after seeking help on here and wanting them to be 100% safe we decided it was the best thing to do. Still feel guilty though :(

What do you put in your crate for your dogs?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

A waterproof bed, a water bowl that clips onto the side of the crate and her cuddly toy. But I'm a bit obsessive about choking hazards etc :eek:

3. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

hi there.

what made you suddenly decide to change to crating them if you dont mind me asking.

also how long are they to be crated for?

4. mrsimpson85

mrsimpson85 PetForums Senior

I don't feel guilty about crating my 2. They have water and a nylabone with them but tend to just sleep. They seem happy enough in there crates and a lot of the time go in there just to rest on there own.
    My dogs do like to destroy anything they can get hold of so i see crating them as a way to save my thing and to keep them safe.
    As long as it's used correctly I think crates are great. It helps to keep them separate if you need to too. My 2 had a fight last night and being able to keep them apart was good.
    They don't fight often but when they do they go full on.
    I suppose thats the problem with staffys, the never back down from anything.

edit: I've got a Road Refresher non-spill water bowl. I had 1 what fitted to the side of the cage but they seemed to get more water on their blankets than they would drink.

#4 mrsimpson85, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Comfy bed, water bowl and a toy with Rupert. Some give a stuffed Kong but Rupe wouldn't eat without someone with him so it was a bit pointless. He just slept until we got home.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

You can't make your dog 100% safe as anything you put in the crate could be chewed and swallowed...unless its a bare crate, no bed, toys etc and the dog isn't wearing a collar, but thats not very fair and even then they're not 100% safe.

Charlie once freaked out about his crate (never found the reason as he was fine afterwards) and kept banging his head against the door!

I'm not against crates - I just thought it was odd that you said 100% safe.
    Nothing is 100% safe.

7. ChaKira

ChaKira PetForums Senior

They've always had a crate but when we go out they had the run of the kitchen and dining room, but kept destroying too much :(

They'll be crated a max of 3.5hrs

8. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Alfie's in his crate for a maximum of 2 hours at a time and I always leave him with a stuffed Kong. He loves it :) He knows it's "going into crate" time when he sees the Kong as that's the only time he gets them ;) so he's definitely got the crate associated with "good things", as he runs straight to it as soon as he sees the Kong :thumbup1:

Can this thread please not turn into another Crate Debate :rolleyes: the OP simply asked what others leave for their dogs, she didn't asked to be questioned about her reasons for using the crate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice