Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crating our Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ShaunS, May 13, 2019.

1. ShaunS

ShaunS PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

As a first time dog owner, I am constantly panicking if I’m doing the right thing with our pup, and the biggest worry of all is that if I’m using the crate correctly. When first in the crate we didn’t use the training methods of leaving him short periods of times and coming back then repeat. We made his crate as comfortable as possible with a few of his toys and give him a treat when we put him in. The first night he cried for around 25/30 mins and then was fine for the night, and every night since (we’ve had him for nearly a week) has got better and better down to the point where he does a slight cry for maybe a minute of so, and doesn’t cry at all at night as we get up to take him out for the toilet at 1am & 4.30am. Could someone tell me if what we are doing is ok? It’s worth mentioning that he does try and come out of the crate when we put him in so we just have to try and close the door quickly.

Any comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You are probably going to quick.

Where is his crate at night time?

The reason he's not crying isn't necessary he's comfortable in the crate but puppies can learn quickly that there is no point to crying. If he's trying to get out once you put him in, it's probably not a good sign to be honest.

Crates when used correctly. Introduced slowly are a place of safety to dogs, and somewhere they can go to relax, chill know they won't be disturbed. Most crate trained dogs who adore their crates, run in with excitement and settle down quickly.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

As you are able to take him out twice in the night and he settles down each time you put him back I would suggest that he is ok with the crate and has begun to acclimatise to sleeping on his own so i wouldn't change what you are doing. You may indeed have hurried the 'getting pup used to being in a crate' process so perhaps take some time during the day to work on making it always a positive place to be and leaving him incrementally.

And I really wouldn't 'panic' about 'doing the right thing' with your pup as it puts new owners under a lot of stress. ....there is no one 'right way' as every pup is different. There are a number of not so good ways of course (inconsistancy and not understanding the merits of reward based training) and one or two ways to be avoided (heavy reprimands and dominance). However, If you are feeling your way then maybe have a peep at the Puppy Support Thread in Dog Chat or read through the other puppy related threads :)

J

4. ShaunS

ShaunS PetForums Newbie

We are having the issue of getting him in the crate voluntarily and sleeping in it. He will go in to get a toy but will shoot straight back out, especially if we close the door. But once in he settles down so quick. We’ve started feeding him his meals in there to try and make it a positive place. Is this the right thing to do? I believe we did hurry the crate process a little but like I say he isn’t distressed when in there it’s just getting him in there in the first place!

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Google crate games There are quite a lot and they help make the crate a happy place for him.

Closing the door, and re opening it, am sure have seen a game how to help with that.

Many puppies don't initially like the crate being shut, so I think what you are dealing with is pretty normal.

You just need to get the crate, somewhere safe and exciting.

Feeding in the crate is fine, you could even try a Kong to feed a meal in the crate to see if that helps!

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Liam was already used to a crate when we brought him home,the first night I was expecting awful crying ,but as soon as it got dark he took himself off to his crate and settled himself,he loves his crate he will take himself in there for a sleep in the day as well as night time but the door has always been left open for him I don't know how he would react if I closed the door Liam is 8 months now and he in still in his cage when I get up:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice