Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Randomly Set, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

It's one thing reading about it, but another trying to do it.

My mate seems to have mastered it with his dog in a matter of days.

Our pup isn't scared of his. He will sleep in it at night with the door open. He also walks in and out. But once we lock him in to go to work he goes mental. When I pop up at dinner, he's sat there fine, and goes bonkers once out. So happy to see me.

Am I doing it wrong? We've not had chance to "build up tolerance". He went in on 2 occasions on Thursday for 1 hour, Friday for 1-1.5 hours, Saturday 6 hours (poor guy), Sunday 2 hours. Yesterday and today he's been locked in from around 7:45 until around 12:15 when I go up at lunch.

He gets put back in around 12:45. I feel so guilty. Feels bad letting him out, have food, wee poo etc and then wants to start playing. So we play a bit, then suddenly time for cage :( then the OH's mother is up around half 3 to help us out, otherwise it'd be 5:15 until Jen is back home.

The work situation is only 2 days a week and SWMBO only works Mon & Tues all day and half day Wednesday.

Neighbours say he barks, but then they barely hear anything. Maybe a whine, and this is probably when he has a pee in his cage. Then settles.

Our thinking is, the long time is only 2 and half days a week. Other couples that have dogs often work full time, so I imagine thousand/millions get left alone all day almost from day 1.

Will he "grow out" of the barking, and realise he's safe?

I've also tried, today, leaving radio 4 on and putting towels over the back end of the cage to make it feel like a den. He also has a variety of toys and some water in there. And my clothes next to the cage (which I noticed today he's tried pulling through).

Really don't know what to do. Am I expecting too much too soon?

2. Randomly Set

Anyone????

3. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

He's still so small, he just needs time to adjust to leaving him on his own. Try it a bit throughout the evening too - popping him in there for 10 mins while you go into another room, then don't go back till he's stopped barking/whining so he realises it doesn't gain him anything and that being quiet is a better option.

4. Randomly Set

Thanks for the advice

5. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

If he sleeps in it at night with door open is he on his own? If so, why does he need to be shut in during the day. Can you puppy proof a room instead, till he gets used to having the door shut. It really should be a very gradual process so as not to put him off.

6. Randomly Set

No, he has a cage in our room.

We did get a bigger one and set it up in a spare room

7. HappyWag

HappyWag PetForums Senior

Maybe you could put aside say half his meal and soak it in warm water, then freeze in a kong. We usually mix sardines or something tasty in with the mixture, or smear peanut butter in the end to get their interest. ( we now have about 5 kongs!)
    If you prepare a couple then you have them in hand, you could try leaving him at lunch time with the kong.

8. Randomly Set

I'm up for that idea. The missus seems to be reluctant at some ideas I read on here, just because she thinks the way her mum trained her yorkie was ok. However, this yorkie is scared of any other dog, now and then poops in the house, yaps, fussy.... I don't want my dog like that.

Definitely will look at stuffing a kong. So far he has a treat ball from P@H that has a split on either side for treats, and a Kong teething stick. I'll look at buying one of those "classic" kong treat stuffers.

9. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Io is generally in her crate Mon - Fri from 7:45 until 10:30, then from 11:00 till 2:00 and then I am home at 4:00.

Some days without the puppy sitter she is in it for up to 4 hours at a time, but I work full time.

The cage is massive and I try to give her plenty to do i.e frozen kong filled with wet food etc. She always LOVESSSS ripping up all the newspaper that she has weed on :rolleyes:

It is hard to pop home and then go back to work because I had to do it today :( But I'll be home at 4 and she will go for a nice walk in the park

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice