Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate training puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Spaniel mad, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Hi

I have 2 8 week old Cocker puppies and i have been told that crate training them is a good idea.

I have just got 2 small crate so they have 1 each. I have never crate trained a dog before. I have 4 adult dogs but did not crate train them so i have no idea where to start so all help and advice is greatly apreciated.

Thank You

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi wow 2 puppies you are brave :D i used crates for both my dogs,for the bedding i used an old jumper that had my scent on,i had the crate in the kitchen,would put the pup in ,shut door of crate and get on with washing up etc,and just ignore any noise pup made,then after awhile let pup out for wee,play then when pup was getting tired put pup back in crate,and go off to another room,i found this taught the pup that sometimes im there and other times he was on his own
    I am sure you will get lots of help on here,i found it was trial and error as what works for one peron/pup does not always work for others,
    Good luck hopeto see pics soon of your pups

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I agree with this, i was lucky mine just took to it:D. Mine's a cocker by the way:D

4. Spaniel mad

They are getting to be little buggas in the nite so need to get them sorted now. also when they play one has started yapping all the time lol

Trying to find a good puppy class to get them into, There dont seem to be many by me though which is the trouble

I would add a pic but not sure how to lol

5. Badger's Mum

lol i can't do the pic's have to put them in my album:D. Just a quick tip, make shaw you get them used to being apart from each other for a wile each day. and brush there ear's even though they probly don't need it yet:D

6. Spaniel mad

Yeah i have pics in my album

We do try and play with them seperatly and then cuddle seperatly but when they play together one always yaps and its ear piercing lol

I have already started using the puppy brush on them and also now and then check their mouths so they get used to that

7. Badger's Mum

yeah i do that and pretend to clip the claw's I'll put my cocker on soon:D

8. Spaniel mad

They actually need their claws cut so we will have to do that

9. Badger's Mum

Just looked at your pic's they lovely:Dsorry tell you about ear's and claw's thought they were you 1st pup's:eek: :D

10. Spaniel mad

Thanx

No lol but dont worry as i said all advice and help is greatly apreciated

11. Spaniel mad

12. Spaniel mad

13. Badger's Mum

14. Spaniel mad

in the same cage or seperate cages just have the cages together?

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, just put the 2 cages next to eachother :) If they are in the same crate all they ill do is play and playfight and you will never get any training done :) lol

x

16. Badger's Mum

Mine were amonth apart and had a crate each, to be honest even the same age i'd use two. I didn't use em that much for mine though:D

17. Spaniel mad

well they have 1 each. Some people on here said to put the cages apart as they would disturb eachother but i think i will put them together for a while and see how they go.

One other things is. When they are playing Stream yaps loads. I have been telling her no and getting her attention but she just looks at me and carries on. Any suggestions??

18. mollymilly

mollymilly PetForums Newbie

I have a 8 week old cocker - we put her in the crate at night - wear her out first and then go to bed. We come down at about 3.00 to let her out for a wee.

She then doesn't want to sleep, so I end up playing with her for 20 mins then put her in the crate. She still cries, but we just leave her to it and let her out when we get up.

Is this the best way??

19. Spaniel mad

I have been told to leave them when they cry, if you get them out they will think that you will do this whenever they cry

Where did you get ur cocker from??

20. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I have an 8 week old pup too. We are using the crate at night only at the moment, but have left it available with the door open. During the day she is taking herself off to her soft kennel shaped bed. We put her in the crate at night after her last wee, shut the door, lights off and we go upstairs to bed. I have not been getting up to check her in the night, as she has not been whining and (fingers crossed) she has been sleeping for around 9 hours and not going to the loo in the crate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice