Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate training advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Issie., Aug 4, 2018.

1. Issie.

Issie. PetForums Junior

10 week old labradoodle pup travelled perfectly on a long first journey and slept soundly for the first night inside her crate. The breeder had done some crate training and told us she is very good in one the next night she began to whine and it escalated into barking. We left her for 20 minutes until it was a point where the neighbors on both sides would have been disturbed so I waited for a brief break and then approached and stroked her through the bars until she slept. The next night was very similar except I did not intervene and after a bit less than an hour she slept through to the morning. I’m aware whining for the first nights is normal but in the day if we show any sign of shutting the crate door she will cry even with us visibly there and talking. She’s fine left for a while in another room or with the crate open. We’ve got toys and Mum sented items in it and have been feeding treats and chews in it to make any interaction with it a good experience but nothing is helping the door shutting whining. We’ve also been wary not to give attention during whining and wait untill she is quite which isn’t often and it’s very difficult with neighbours. Any tips or methods we could try? Also we have been sleeping next to her so she’s not on her own.

Update- we noticed she likes sleeping in areas with hard floor so simply removed the bedding from half the crate to see her reaction. She entered it constantly and slept through the night soundly.

#1 Issie., Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't like to hear a puppy crying. If she is distressed, the crate is not the happy place you want it to be.

Remember she has just been taken away from her mum and littermates, she will be feeling alone and anxious. If she cries you are going too fast with the crate.

Comforting her when she is distressed is fine and will strengthen your bond. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left in the crate (or alone, or whatever is causing the crying) is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit. Leaving them to cry it out is now thought to be outdated advice.

During the day though you should start to get her used to being alone for short periods so when she isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

This is a very good guide to crate training -
    https://m.facebook.com/notes/dog-tr...e-force-free-crate-trained-do/998780573470833

Edited - I missed that you are sleeping downstairs with her

#2 JoanneF, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice