Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate Training Advice Needed for DDB

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Michelle666, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

I have a ten week old DDB pup. Ive posted on here before about her sleeping troubles. Ive been concidering getting her a crate, in hope this might help.

Basically she has a large bed to sleep in. I definatly dont want her upstairs, as we are trying to teach her thats a no go area, mainly because of the hip problem they can get when older.
    The first night she howled and cried all night, which we totally expected, the second night wasn't so bad, and from then onwards she goes to bed at 11pm with us and wakes up around 5am-5.30am depending if we're up.

Problem is as soon as someone moves up stairs she reverts back to howling, crying and barking. Last night OH woke up not very well at 1am, and that was it. Dog hasn't stopped since.

Im thinking on getting a crate but we have not used one before, and Im worried this could make her worse being introduced two weeks in to having her.

Also if it is the best option, what size should I buy? Im also worried about the toilet issue. Shes usually very good and goes for wee before bed, and when she gets up. We also leave a pad down, which she uses during the night, but only for a quick tinkle.

I would really appreciate some advice on this!

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Both my dogs slept in crates,when i first introduced them to a crate i put in an old jumper i had worn so it had my scent on it,the crate was in the kitchen,so i left the door of crate open and just got on with things in the kitchen ,after awhile the dog went in the crate to have a look,after awhile he was not bothered with something new in the kitchen,i then after pup had been out for a wee i put him in crate and shut the door of crate,then i went into another room for about 15 mins,1st time pup cried,but i waited 15 mins ,then went back into kitchen ignored dog and made a cuppa,then let pup out,he soon learnt that the crate was ok,also if he got sleepy during day i would put him in crate and shut door.He soon started to just go in crate if he wanted to sleep.

3. Michelle666

That sounds a really good plan. Im at wort this pm, and have left the crate with her blanket inside, and opened the door so she can investigate it.

Will pop her in it later when we have dinner, as she is prone to ending up on our plates :D

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Put the crate on the floor, reward her for going near it and then going in. Feed her in there, put the bed in there maybe without the door closed have her lying in there so she realises its a good place. The idea of a jumper or shirt of yours in there is a good idea. Only put her in there for short times at first.

5. pauloconnor

pauloconnor PetForums Newbie

Another thumbs up here for crates.

The howling will pass just try not to acknowledge it otherwise the dog achieves what they want - your attention!

The key thing is to ensure the dog doesn't develop any negative associations with the crate. It must never be a punishment and they must never be dragged in. Further, I would suggest putting your pup in there at times during the day too so that it doesn't associate going in the crate with you leaving them alone. Perhaps if you plan to watch a film one night you could put the puppy in the crate and let them see its not a bad things. The key is to build the time up slowly. The more gradually you can build this up the better.

We introduced our Mastiff to a crate as a 12 week old pup and he was housetrained within 2 weeks because of it. As dogs are den animals you'll probably find your DDB gets accustomed to it very quickly. Indeed, after seeing the benefits of a crate I introduced one for my old mongrel rescue too. She has always had free reign but would jump on the couch at night which we couldn't stop. Again, lot's of treats and praise for going in and she adjusted right away.

It also provides piece of mind because puppies can chew a lot over the course of a night whereas being in the crate with one or two favourite toys should keep them content.

As suggested, might also be worth putting an old sweater in there so the puppy can still smell you when you are upstairs.

Good luck and hope this helps!

6. Michelle666

Thats great advice. We're planning on watching a film tonight, funny enough its Turner and Hooch :D So will perhaps bring it in the living room and guide her in for the film, and lots of praise afterwards. I will leave it in her sleeping area over night, and she may decide to use it.
    Thanks again!

7. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

I'd definitely recommend a crate.

We got one for Bailey and he took to it immediately. He was about 5 months at that point. We'd only had him for a couple of weeks (rescue pup) but he was a big chewer (still is!) so it made sense to give it a try.

He absolutely loves it, he's in there right now snoozing away!

Good luck with it! :)

8. maisieS

maisieS PetForums Newbie

when introducing our little girl to a crate, we ensured that every time she fell asleep in place that wasn't the crate then we would pop her in (leaving the door open). In the beginning, she would often get up and wander back in all sleepy eyed (very cute) and we would just but her back, repeating the cycle until she stayed. This helped create the association that a crate is a place for sleep and this made it alot easier to leave her there at night.

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

10. hazel pritchard

I never moved the crate from one room to another,i thought it would confuse my dogs as to where i expected them to sleep,it stayed in the same place all the time,we used crates untill our dogs were about 1 yr old,now we use them in the car and when we go to agility they can go in them between training if they want.

11. Michelle666

Yeah this sounds a better idea. We have a lovely space set up for her, where I would rather it be kept. I also dont want to encourage her up the stairs.
    I was hoping to use the crate while shes young and hopefully move to a dog bed in the future when things are more settled. Guess she'll make her mind up on that!

12. hazel pritchard

We put the crate away when the dogs were about 1yr old,i was fed up stubbing my toes on it ,:D and just transferred the blankets to a dogs bed We go out most weekends through the summer as charity volunteers and take the dogs and crates with us,we are often out 10hrs ,so the dogs get many walks through the day,then i just say "in your beds" and they go in their crates and rest.

13. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I have a crate for Poppy, she will be about 7 weeks when we get her, also have a puppy teddy for her, do you think it a good idea to put her mum and playmates scent on it or just mine???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice