Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate training 2 pups

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Alex1019, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Alex1019

Alex1019 PetForums Newbie

Im getting 2 rotweiller puppies very soon.... I have done lots of research and im aware of the possible issues woth getting 2 dogs at the same time. Littermate syndrom for example.
    When i put the pups to bed my plan is to put them in seperate crates. However, should i put the crates so that they are touching or should i keep them as far apart?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh wow, what prompted you to want to get two puppies from the same litter?

I'm very surprised the breeder agreed to sell you two. Will they be the same sex? If different, what is your plan for when the bitch goes in heat? There is a lot more to think about here than where to put the crates. (I'll get to that in a minute, I promise :) )

It's a little worrisome actually that your breeder agreed. Generally conscientious breeders would not dream of letting someone not fully prepared to take on littermates. I can see a breeder keeping two, but selling two is a bit more worrisome IMO/E.

Does this breeder health test, trial their dogs in any way?

As for the crate set-up, I would initially let them sleep together. It's a huge change for young pups to go from a known home with littermates to a new home, new smells, new people, away from mom and everything they've ever known. Best to let them have each other at least initially. Then slowly start separating.

Have you owned this breed before?

Sairy, Sarah H, Burrowzig and 3 others like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I kept 2 girls from a litter I bred - collie type. Initially they were in a crate together, but when it got to be a tight fit, they had crates side by side.
    And mine turned out fine.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes, yours have done very well, and you do point that out every time someone tries to warn posters about taking on littermates.
    Just out of curiosity, as a breeder, would you sell littermates to a potential buyer?

5. Alex1019

Alex1019 PetForums Newbie

I have had 3 labs but there like 2 children compared to rotweiller's who are more like 2 angry bouncers. Breeder is a professional.... the farther of my 2 males is a German champion, Belgium champion and International champion, winner of 13 sieger titles, BH AD ZTP IPO3, and a true gentleman. I would think the breeder runs many health test, he has been breeding for over 20yr. He did warn me about getting 2 males as obviously they may fight over dominance. Especially if they are not getting neutered.

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

But why would you want '2 angry bouncers who may fight for dominance' ? Do you plan to get them neutered ?

Sarah H, Torin., lullabydream and 2 others like this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Am I understanding your post correctly? You're getting 2 males, from the same litter, sired by a working line dog?

You would think the breeder health tests? But have you asked? Seen results? Rotties have many congenital health issue that you would want to be sure are not being passed on.

The breeder warned you about getting two males but you're doing it anyway? What experience do you have with rottweilers? Specifically working line rotties?

Sairy, Sarah H, Burrowzig and 4 others like this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You do realise that if these two males do begin fighting, they don't shake hands and make up afterwards?

You will either have to keep them apart their entire lives or rehome one of them.

I really do feel that two males, both being kept entire, is a very bad idea indeed.

9. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Your breeder may be a professional but I would suggest that he isn't putting the best interest of the dogs first of he is willing to sell a pair of litter mates that he himself has agreed may fight. Most good breeders refuse to sell litter mates together because of related anxiety issues that may arise. And I am also concerned at the description of the breed line you are looking at if you describe them like 'two angry bouncers'. That is not what a well bred Rotweiller should be like at all.

Littermates is not the way forward. Get one puppy - enjoy him, train him, spend time with him and help him grow into the dog that you want. And in a couple of years if you want to add to your pack get another puppy.

J

Sairy, Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

@Alex1019 what are your plans for these dogs?
    Are you pursuing this line and this sire because you want to compete with them?

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

On the whole, no. But amongst my buyers were the breeder of the pups' sire - a couple who are experienced with dogs (they have about 5 between them) - if they had wanted one each (not brother and sister), I'd have been fine with it. The others - a single woman (owner of the sire with 2 other dogs as well), and the two other people who I hadn't known for years, I wouldn't have let have 2. Not that there would have been enough to go round.
    I've come across several of pairs of litter mates at the training club I'm involved with, and more with people I've met casually. Only one pair of pups (at training class) seemed to have any real issues. They were taken on by 2 sisters who lived close to each other but not together, and their pups only had eyes for each other. The club had to stop them coming to the same class, and alternate between them as they were so distracting to all the other pups, trying to play together.
    The only concern I have about my 2 is how the survivor will be when the first one dies.
    I do think that for inexperienced owners, it's not a good idea to take on 2, and having 2 young Rotties running round full pelt and play-fighting sounds like a recipe for a trip to hospital. And I have said that on quite a few instances when people have posted about getting 2 pups that it wasn't a good idea.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This looks a lot like a recipe for disaster.
    And you 'would think' that health tests were done? You don't know for sure what tests (if any) have been done, and what the results are?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Didn’t you check?

:Facepalm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice