Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate rest

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Veba, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

My 5 month old cocker spaniel is on 4 weeks crate rest

He is getting stressed when he knows we are In the house (we've always had this issue). I took him in my arms tonight. We had a cuddle on the sofa then i let him sit on the windowsill to see outside and we also watched/sniffed the rain from the back door. Is this ok?

I'm supposed to take him on the lead to toilet. I carry him down the step to a blocked off bit of garden he always pees in. I don't use the lead as he just sniffs looking for a per spot. Is this ok?

I'm feeding with kongs, snufflemats, lickimats etc and will get some toys. I did a little bit of training too and he seemed to enjoy that.

Im also finding it stressful. I'm nearly in tears a lot. I feel bad that he is being crated. I feel he thinks I'm punishing him. I worry that he won't like his crate anymore. I miss spending proper time with him. He's an active fun pup and it's heart breaking to see him like this

2. ErsatzNihilist

ErsatzNihilist PetForums Member

My sympathies - I honestly can't imagine what I'd do if I was asked to put my Cocker in a crate for the majority of a 4 week period. I'm absolutely not a vet, but I'd imagine "Crate Rest" is shorthand for "relax and don't do anything crazy or strenuous" - whether he's sat with you on the sofa, on a windowsill or in a crate really makes very little difference to the healing process. I'd absolutely find this situation stressful if I were in it.

Burrowzig and Veba like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with @ErsatzNihilist that crate rest is short for 'relax and don't do anything crazy'. Lying with you on the sofa, watching the world go by etc .... I can't see a problem with that. Just don't let him run around like a wild thing and it'll be fine I'm sure.

May the next four weeks go by quickly and as calmly as possible.

DaisyBluebell and Veba like this.
  4. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

The vet said it should really be the crate as if he is out of it he might run or jump even if I have a hold of him. But he is worse in the crate! He is on his hind legs (the injured one) and pawing at the crate.

We were so careful about him jumping up but all it takes is once to land funny and there's a fracture.

5. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thank you. I think I'm going to have to continue what I'm doing and see how it goes. We're back in 2 weeks for a check up and may be allowed to move on to "room rest".

I've also got him in a small pen at night with his crate as it's so hot and I want him to be able to change where he sleeps.

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. ErsatzNihilist

ErsatzNihilist PetForums Member

I think your concerns over the temperature and trying to sleep are totally valid - Edgar gets extremely unhappy in his crate so I've just stopped enforcing it during this weather. Unfortunate as we're not 100% house trained yet, but I'd prefer to clean up an infrequent accident rather than have him uncomfortable every night for weeks (months?) on end.

It's possible that the Vet is giving you the most restrictive possible advice because he doesn't really know you - you could totally be a dreadful puppy-parent and not really care about what your little fleabag is doing. From the tone of your posts, I suspect you're far more attentive than that and would be able to handle a little more mobility for the pup, but ultimately I don't think anyone here is going to be able to legitimately advise you, you can only talk to the vet about your personal circumstance. The fact that the pup is actively using the injured leg and acting distressed in the crate is a whole other factor.

But I don't envy you at all. The idea of crating a puppy for the vast majority of their day in this weather, when they're used to having a bit more freedom because you're always around is a horrible concept. I'd feel better about it personally if the weather was less crazy at the moment.

ForestWomble and Veba like this.
  7. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

That is quite terrible! One of our older dogs went on a crate rest for three weeks. I couldn't imagine a puppy spending almost all of summer in a crate. I hope everything goes well:)

Veba likes this.
  8. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I will speak to the vet and explain. Obviously I got the advice before I knew how he would be. He is happy enough in his crate/pen and spends half days in there when we are at work (puppy visitor for half hour).

Hopefully someone who has been through this will read and have some advice until I can speak to vet.

Although vet story is a story in itself! Local vet said definitely needs surgery so I could get them to do what they could or if I had money/insurance I could go to expert orthopaedic vet. Went to expert and he said no surgery, just crate rest. And that was after local vet saying he seems fine, gave him a painkiller and said he might forget about it overnight. I've not had much luck with vets.

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

When one of my previous dogs had a crusciate repair she had to have crate rest for about six weeks. After about three weeks I started bringing her out on the lead and tied it to the chair I was sitting on and she was quite happy there with restricted movement but close to me. It meant I spent most of the next few weeks attached to the chair as well, but the dog was more content then in a fenced off area in the hall (didn’t have a crate in those days)

Veba likes this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your pup. A few years back when Indie my rottie was 13 months old she ruptured her cruciate ligament in one leg and had a tear in the other so she had the quite major surgery on both legs at the same time and had to be very restricted for 6 weeks, not easy when you have two other dogs who she is used to chasing around with. She went on to have various other orthopaedic operations when meant she spent over a year being restricted to a certain degree (with a gap between each operation for a rest) which was tough with such a young dog.

We used a pen not a crate as she has never been happy in a crate and throws herself around whereas she was quite settled with a nice big bed and her water bowl/chews in the pen. When my OH took the boys out for their walk I did have her out of the crate and in whichever room I was working in (usually the kitchen) with me, I shut doors to all other rooms so she couldn't accidentally get to the sofa or stairs. We played all sorts of games - her favourite was shredding junk mail and searching for treats in a cardboard box filled with scrunched up papers. I know its tough and its overwhelming, believe me I cried many tears for her but the time does go before you know it. I also used melatonin to help keep her settled which worked a treat.

Veba likes this.
  11. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time on the sofa with him. We went out earlier to test if he's still ok with us out of the house and it mostly settled. A couple of times he was looking anxious. I really don't want him to go back to barking/whining the whole time we're both out.

12. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks. I will look in to melatonin. He isn't happy in his pen if we're anywhere in the house. This has always been the case but it was ok as we just let him follow us. He's in the pen now with a chew and I reckon I have about 5 more minutes of peace. Hopefully he'll settle for a sleep.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh dear I'm sorry and yes it is extremely stressful trying to keep a young puppy happy on strict cage rest.

I do understand as I was in the same position a few years ago now, although my puppy was a couple of months older.
    I used to have her out and sitting with me on the lead in the evenings to watch TV. Apart from stuffed Kongs, I used to put a treat (or some of her food) in a toilet roll middle and tape it up, also cereal boxes. Made a mess with chewed up bits of cardboard but all those types of things help to keep them amused.

Good luck.

Veba likes this.
  14. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks. I have a collection of toilet roll middles that I haven't yet used so will definitely do that one with him. He does love to rip paper/cardboard too.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think you will be fine to have him out with you when you can keep an eye on him. If he is jumping up and getting distressed in the crate it is not resting him so it is a bit pointless. It is funny how things go round. There used to be no such thing as crate rest because crates did not exist! Lame horses were put out in the field to walk it off and people were put on strict bed rest. Nowadays dogs and horses are confined, very much to the detriment of their minds and people are told to move around as much as possible with the majority of injuries. I have to say in 50 years of horse and dog owning I have never confined either though I have been lucky and not had bad injuries in dogs.

16. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

That is because on the whole humans can follow instructions regarding weight bearing on the affected limb, use a crutch if necessary etc etc whereas a dog or horse can't so confining is often the only way of making sure they don't go mad and do more damage resulting in a fracture healing with poor alignment or re fracturing. It is perfectly possible to have a horse/dog confined/restricted without it suffering too much just takes more effort on the part of the owner. Of course we need to use common sense but not following instructions (as one member recently found with a post op cruciate case if you are a regular reader in the health & nutrition section) can often result in more complications which means a longer recovery process in the long run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice