Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate problem

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Jun 28, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I moved the dog's crates to the other side of the room the other day, and found Dave had been digging the wall! I knew he was digging in his bed... but he likes to bury things and he always has a bone or 2 in there so I assumed that was why. But- on the wall behind where his crate was, there are 5 big gouges in the plaster where he has been scraping away.

I thought maybe its because he needs a bigger crate (we have to save up a bit) so I swapped him and Dixie, and put them in the crates with a bone and a frozen peanut butter kong to settle for a while to get used to it.
    Dixie doesn't care- she will go in any crate no bother. Dave seemed to enjoy having more space.

We took them for a good swim and run before we went out for our meal- only to come back and find he had made a scratch on the wall and switched the storage heater on too!

They are both crated from midnight until 7am, then Dave is in his crate for 10 mins at half 7 for his breakfast.
    They then have running about in the garden while I get my son organised and we take them to the park.
    They are crated at lunch time while we are eating as I hate dogs staring at my food and they cannot be trusted unsupervised outside at this time as they dig or play fight.
    They are crated for an hour or so in the afternoon, and again while we eat tea, then they are out the crates until bed time.

So why is he doing it? i have pulled the crate away from the wall but I don't understand why he is doing it, is he fed up, or doing it for fun? What can i do to stop him?

x

2. Bryn's Mum

Bryn's Mum PetForums Newbie

Could it be that he can smell a trace of food that has flung up the wall or onto the floor, i would give crate a good wash outside with the hose pipe, wash all bedding and everything in the crate, then put back with a piece of hard board behind the crate to save the wall.just a thought it's what i would do.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice