Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate on its way....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by woodwitch, Jun 9, 2010.

1. woodwitch

woodwitch PetForums Member

....and not a moment too soon!

To all those helpful people who offered advice when I introduced myself, I have followed their advice and invested in a puppy crate/cage.

Managed to find one on ebay for £23.40 including postage. It probably won't be big enough for him in a few months but I'll hopefully be able to afford a bigger one then.

Didn't have such a bad night last night for a change, he didn't wake us up and we only found one wee on the rug, but I did find all the living room cushions on the floor and Ozzy is still anxious about seperation - he wakes up every time one of us walks across the room.

I am hoping and praying that the cage will sort out his night time routine as I can't take much more bedtime stress!

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hopefully the crate will make things easier.Make sure to introduce it slowly and make it a really fun, positive place to be :)

3. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

glad to hear hope things get better from now on in :D

good luck xx

*Kara*

4. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Once we got Rupert in a cage it was much easier. However he's destroyed the front of it as we got him a material one, as it was easier for me to get in/out the car, plus he HATED his metal one.

I'm attempting to fix it tonight, but I'm going to invest in a plastic one once i've got a bit more money. He's out growing his current one anyway so if we can manage with the one we have for a few more weeks...

5. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Good luck! And remember that when you need to upgrade to a larger crate you can resell the one you have to off-set the cost of the next one. :thumbup:

Now that you have a crate on its way, remember that introducing the crate properly is going to make this much easier. Start this well before you mean to lock him in it overnight!

At first, leave it standing with the door open. Let the puppy sniff it and check it out.

Then toss a few treats or toys into the back and praise the puppy for going into the crate at all.

You can put his feed bowl in the back also to encourage him to go in and associate the crate with positive things.

Once he's freely going in and out of the crate, shut the door for a second. Treat him for not fussing.

Then work your way up to more time with door closed, but with you in the room where he can still see you.

Next, try briefly closing the door and leaving his sight. Work your way up to more time.

Most dogs love their crates if you spend a lot of time introducing it and working hard to keep it as a positive, fun experience for them. You'll probably be playing games as described above for the whole day that you first put the crate up. If you spend a lot of time the first day on these games, he should take to it more easily than if you just put him in it the first night straight away.

6. Horse and Hound

Rupert likes to play a game called "you put my toys in my crate mum, and I'll drag them out, across the living room, and back again!"

:D

7. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Jessie did that, too! She would drag her blanket out of the crate every morning and put it in the living room. Then she'd gather all her toys, place them on the blanket and lay down on top of them all! :lol:

8. Horse and Hound

Yeah, he goes in it on his own now. He'll stay in with the door closed on it...bar at night when he goes mental.

I'm trying to ride it out, make him settle down again.

9. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly will only willingly go in her crate when she's seriously tired and for night time. Otherwise she will use her other soft bed, or will get placed in her crate by us. I wouldn't shut the crate door the first night, or if you do, don't lock it. Also, make sure you cover the top and sides (apart from door side) with blankets so it seems like it's his den :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice