Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate : Is This A Good Idea???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 25, 2010.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Now that Dixie is able to stay out of her crate, actually we got rid of it, it is alot easier and saves space.

Quite frequently I find Dave on Dixies bed during the day, I leave the door open so they can do what they want if I am busy.

So far Dave has not chewed a thing when left alone and I am in, not even when I go upstairs to talk to OH and shut the livingroom door (giving the dogs the livingroom kitchen and back room) I usually find Dave lying about on the floor or couch, and Dixie on her bed.

At the new house, I was planning on having Dave's crate under the stairs, and will have to get a baby gate to keep Dixie in there (its a fairly big space) or she will just help herself to the other rooms! Lol

Anyway, between the back door and the kitchen there is a door, and the space is big enough for a good size dog bed on the floor with room for the cats to get by- they will be in the cupboard, will be making a wee ramp or something so their food can be high up out of dogs reach.

So do you think its a good idea (once we get settled of course!) to start just putting the dogs in there for short periods in the day to start weaning Dave off the crate?

Once Anna comes home I want the space under the stairs free of dogs for the buggy and car seat, changing bag etc.

2. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

have you actually moved in yet ??

If you havent, I would just leave the dogs in that space from the first day of moving in. that way it would be a new house a new room a new bed and they would just settle straight into that... rather than settle into one routine and then have to settle into another routine

With Sailor, I have been pretty lucky as he seems to beable to adapt to change pretty quick....
    he went from sleeping on the sofa with me for his first week... then he had a bed next to the sofa the second and third week.. then after a month, his bed was put in a crate in the kitchen, where he still stays now.

He is very attatched to his crate now tho and when ever i take it into the garden to air it out and sort his bedding out and remove all the stolen items out of it lol he looks stressed and follows his cage, til I put it down and he dives into it sniffing about, making sure its ok .... so I do wonder at times, if I had to remove the crate how would I go about it and how would Ssailor react.

And I came to the ideas that I would .... just simply remove the crate and leave his bedding from the crate ina newe bed. If he barked or howled all night about it in protest, I would bring the crate back the next night and leave the empty open crate alongside the bed full of his old crate bedding... so he prefers to sleep in the comfy bed..... and then if he is using the bed over the crate, I would get rid of the crate again.
    If he is using the empty crate over the comfy bed, I would make the crate even more uncomftable, by removing the tray or folding it flat, but still leaving it in the same room , next to the bed... and if his still being stubborn preffering the empty uncomftable crate i would just bang my head against a wall

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

With Dixie I just started leaving the crate open at night, teling her ''stay in that bed'' when I shut the door.
    We had my cousins collie here and Id had to borow a friends crate for Dixie so Dave could have hers and the collie in the big crate. (then the big crate went with the collie)

It was going great, she was fine at night and I had been leaving it open if I went out in the day, and then moved the crate away from infront the radiator (her fave place) but put her soft bed there, so she could be on her bed by the heater, or in the crate on a bath mat. She was fine.
    Then my neighbour forgot my instructons (I was at a hospital appointment) and shut Dixie in the crate. She chewed the tray!
    Should have just returned the crate instead of giving her the option to choose, but well. She is fine now.

I did have to keep putting the foot stool infront the door because I came back from town a few times finding Dixie on the couch! Lol!

Dave use to chew things, the first (and last!) time he was allowed out his crate at night- it was cold and I thought they might want to cudle up together- he ripped the kitchen lino :eek: I think he had too much space though.

So I should just have them sleep there right away? I would have thought they need a few days to settle down?

Then again I do always give the advice 'start as you mean to carry on' Lol maybe I ought to follow it myself :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice