Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate for my 8 month Labrador puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by aviadavi, Sep 5, 2013.

1. aviadavi

aviadavi PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I use to put my puppy in a puupy fence
    [​IMG]

The problem that she is 8 month old and when me and my wife don't watch her she can grab something to eat. she eats almost everything (walls, plastics , wood, ... she like hard stuff :(), that's why we are putting her on this fence at night and when we are at work.

Do you suggest other tool ? maybe a crate? should it be dark or like a fence?
    I guess that putting her on this fence for more than 16 hours is not reccomended but i have no choice. what can I do ??

I have a doggy sitter that take her out once a day but she seem to be very aggressive when we come back from work. (altought we are taking her for a walk 4 or 5 times a day - every walk at least 15 minutes)

BR,
    Aviad Avi

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

aggressive when you come back from work? :sosp: What does she do exactly?

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Putting a dog in a cage for 16 hours would be cruel imo. It's way too much time spent cooped up.

What do you do with the dog other than walk her? My Lab is a bit of a nightmare without mental stimulation no matter what physical exercise he gets. And yeah, what Wiz asked, what do you mean by she's aggressive when you get home?

4. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I think your Lab is bored and frustrated. At eight months she needs company and shouldn't be left alone for hours on end. Nor should she be in a crate or pen or anything for hours at a time - and certainly nowhere near 16 hours!

Please please rethink things otherwise I suspect you are in for some problems. What do you mean by 'aggression'? Do you mean that she's zooming around the house barking and jumping on and off the furniture? If so, that is normal Lab behaviour when the dog is bored!

5. HLT93

HLT93 PetForums Member

If i was stuck in there all day i think i would be mad too. You cant keep a dog in there for that long.

You need to deal with the eating and chewing behaviours rather than ignoring them. It sounds like hes very bored and frustrated.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Please tell me that was a typo. 16 HOURS?

7. aviadavi

I guess aggressive is not the right word. she is too hyper. when I take her down she is pullling me and search for a food on the floor as she hasn't seen food before in her life. (And this is after i feed her with 2 cups of Natural Balance)

8. aviadavi

I'm playing with her a lot at home with her ball. Something like an hour every day.

As I said, "Aggressive" is possibly not the right word to describe it. BUT for example if we have visitors she jump on them and tries to take food from the table

9. aviadavi

But what else can I do? If i'm not home she will probably hurt herself. maybe i need to buy her a muzzle and let her free? I really don't know what to do when I'm not watching her (at night / at the day)

10. aviadavi

At night (~7 hours) and during the fworking day (~9 hours) . What else I should do? If i let her free all day she would hurt herself and maybe eat very dangerous things!

Maybe i need to buy her a muzzle during the night or something??? what do you suggest?

#10 aviadavi, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  11. aviadavi

I guess aggressive is not the right word. but when I take her down for example, she is pulling me and try to find "food" as if she didn't see food in her life. (and this is after I fed her 2 cups of Natural Balance Ultra Premium). If we have visitors she is jumping on them and try to take food and drinks from the table.

12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

That's not aggression, that's pretty typical behaviour for a dog who hasn't been taught how to behave. Labradors are generally stomachs on legs but can certainly learn to control themselves around food. I've used the Zen method found here Introduction with a lot of success. Don't get me wrong, mine would likely still steal food if I left him in the kitchen with food on the side while I went out but that's pretty normal dog behaviour.

You can't muzzle her and leave her unsupervised, it simply isn't safe to do so. I hate to say it but if she's spending 16 hours a day by herself then you really, really need to step up and make sure the few hours you do spend with her really count. I've worked full time and owned a dog and it basically meant giving up pretty much all "me" time and dedicating all my free time to meeting his needs. Walks, play, training, grooming, just basically spending time with him. It really sounds like yours needs more than she's currently getting.

I'm not sure where you live but are there no dog walkers or doggie day care or something like that? Or even a friend or family member who could have her for a few hours while you work?

13. aviadavi

Thanks for the response. I'll see what I can do. The Zen method is not familiar to me i'll need read it and give it a try.

We have a dog walker that take her out 30 minutes during noon.

I read in the internet that the dogs needs a small and dark place for them to feel safe. The fact that she doesn't go to her fence at all when I'm home means that I need to supply her a crate or something similar or shall I stay with the fence for now?

14. aviadavi

Thanks for the response. I'll see what I can do. The Zen method is not familiar to me i'll need read it and give it a try.

We have a dog walker that take her out 30 minutes during noon.

I read in the internet that the dogs needs a small and dark place for them to feel safe. The fact that she doesn't go to her fence at all when I'm home means that I need to supply her a crate or something similar or shall I stay with the fence for now?

15. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Nine hours during the day?

Too much -far too much :(

Trust me, you are going to have real issues if you don't revise things with your dog. And no, please do NOT muzzle your dog for hours at a time!

Is there one room that you can leave the dog in, that you can 'dog proof' as much as possible? Also your dog needs ***more*** company during the day than it is getting! Labs are really sociable, they need attention and affection and company!

Can you book the dog walker to either come for longer OR to come twice?

At night, can your dog not sleep in a dog bed in the hall outside your room or even in your room?

16. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

We have a four-month cocker spaniel pup, and we've made sure to dog proof a room in our home so she can be left in there safely when we're out. We're quite lucky in that she's only ever alone for a max of three hours in a day, and often much less, but I think confining her to a crate for so long would just make her all the more hyper when she eventually got out, which might be a reason for any aggression you are seeing? Misdirected energy perhaps?

I'd def see about getting someone in more often during the day, there's a dog walker near us that takes them out for up to two hours during the day, perhaps there is someone like that near you that's a bit more flexible with times?

17. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

I had to reply to this thread as I was horrified how long your dog was being left..Clearly this dog is not a rescue dog as no home check would have passed you for having her.Can I ask why you have a puppy?You say ,what else can I do?Well,to be blunt I am horrified you have a dog.What enjoyment is there for the dog?And only 30 minutes at noon?Should be a minimum of an hour.I have a year old dog and she gets 2 hours of walking a day and she still has lots of energy.I don't mean to be judgemental,but,that is the sort of puppy who will end up at a rescue center through no fault of his own....

18. Ponies78

Ponies78 PetForums Junior

I have an 8 month old cocker. I'm lucky he doesn't really chew, I do crate him for up to 5 hours whilst im at work, as I am worried he'd chew wires and hurt himself. I have bought a pen to extend his crate with. 5 hours is not the norm though.

I would suggest you get up nice and early spend an hour with him playing/obedience work before work. Book your dog walker for an hour min, then make sure you spend the evening with him playing out of the crate not muzzled.

That would break up his crate time nicely. Not ideal, but better than a long confined spell.

19. aviadavi

belive me I like her more than anything. That's why I ask for help.
    I put her on a pen (which is big for her) just to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

Thanks for replying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice