Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate bound rescue puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Reesespuffs, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Reesespuffs

Reesespuffs PetForums Newbie

Hi I’ve just rescued a 1yo labardoretriver. He’s a healthy boy. Been looked after brilliantly by his previous owners. They’ve had to let him go as they don’t have time for him. They work shift patterns and it was confusing for him. Most days he was in his crate from 8:30-12 then back in again from12:30-5. I don’t want to crate him but on a night he’s a bit of monster opening doors whining try’s to fight my cocker spaniel. So I’ve created him for the first couple of days but I really don’t agree with that type of training. He hates it as well but he just doesn’t settle unless he’s in there. I really need advice on how to calm him on a night. The first time I tried to put him in it he went to bite me not viciously it was like a puppy teething nip. He sleeps perfectly fine during the day with the other dog. And on an evening he’s getting closer to me on the sofa so I know he’s starting to trust me. It can take 30-60 at bed time not wanting to come in from his last wee he just either runs around the garden like a crazed lunatic or refuses to move from where he standing.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Take him out on leash for his night time wee.

Could you put his crate in your room for a few nights until he's settled into his new home? That way you can reassure him with your voice if he's anxious.

I wouldn't handle him into the crate but encourage him to go in with a treat or kong put in on the far side and then lots of vocal praise as you shut the door.

If he really hates being shut in the crate (not unsurprising as he associates it with being left in there for long period) then I'd just work at getting him to sleep in his bed in the corner of your room.

During the day I'd leave his crate open in a safe room he can be in behind a baby gate so the dogs are separate but can communicate and see each other. I would not be leaving them alone together just yet, especially if he's already had a go at the other dog.

tabelmabel, Tracey3cats and Jobeth like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice