UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bit of Advice please :)

I have 2 staffies a girl who's 4 she is crate trained and is just lovely,but had decieded that when i got Zeus now 18 months,that since he took to sleeping in his bed in our kitchen,without much problem,that we wouldnt crate train him,only now i think i might of made a mistake,as now he's started to be very mischeivias (cant spell that).. chewing tipping things over,all of which is mostly done overnight,last night he took a floor tile up :(

My question would be,is it too late to try and crate train him,and how would i be best to go about it

Many thanks for any answers & advice x x

·
Registered
772 Posts
No it's not too late.

I am a dog walker and I use crates in the car to transport the dogs safely. Even older dogs who haven't been crate trained at home travel in them with no problems - they are normally only in there for 20/30 minutes then they are having a lovely walk and popping back in the crate for the journey home. They all get in on their own and some who have come to stay whilst their owners are away have even happily slept in crates at my house too.

Build up positive associations with the crate by feeding him in there, throwing him high value treats in there, put his bed in there. Don't shut the door at first so he can come back out when he chooses. When you are sure he'll be ok give him a treat that will take him a little while to eat and shut the door whilst he does staying next to the crate and opening it as soon as he's finished. Build up the time that the door stays closed after he's finished the treat, and how close you are to him whilst he's in there.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.