Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Crate advice needed for DDB

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Michelle666, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

I have a ten week old DDB pup. Ive posted on here before about her sleeping troubles. Ive been concidering getting her a crate, in hope this might help.

Basically she has a large bed to sleep in. I definatly dont want her upstairs, as we are trying to teach her thats a no go area, mainly because of the hip problem they can get when older.
    The first night she howled and cried all night, which we totally expected, the second night wasn't so bad, and from then onwards she goes to bed at 11pm with us and wakes up around 5am-5.30am depending if we're up.

Problem is as soon as someone moves up stairs she reverts back to howling, crying and barking. Last night OH woke up not very well at 1am, and that was it. Dog hasn't stopped since.

Im thinking on getting a crate but we have not used one before, and Im worried this could make her worse being introduced two weeks in to having her.

Also if it is the best option, what size should I buy? Im also worried about the toilet issue. Shes usually very good and goes for wee before bed, and when she gets up. We also leave a pad down, which she uses during the night, but only for a quick tinkle.

I would really appreciate some advice on this!

2. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I put them in a crate as soon as i get them and have no problems with getting them used to it. Mine sleep in an open crate still. You may need to do more work now she's 10 weeks. You're options are to buy a 48" crate with divider to limit her space or possibly a smaller one and then a larger one later. You may need to take her out in the iddle of the night. I kept the 9 week old girl who went to resuce in a crate (admittedly in my room - but I didn't want her setting the others off) and she was absolutely fine and made no mess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice