UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Since last visiting this forum, we have enrolled in professional dog behavioral expert and trainer, which so far has seen great results (in learning to walk and not go loopy on sight of other dogs).

This weekend we decided to travel with the dog to see family. The first family we saw, have a border collie and golden retriever (our dog is also a collie). They got on well and spent the day/evening together no problems.

The second family has 3 jack russells, and from the start they don't seem to get on with our collie. There was some growling and just pure tension between the dogs.

Anyway, the collie tried to get attention from the owner of the jack russells, the youngest didn't like it and before we knew it, the collie put the russell in its place and left a nasty gash on its head. A quick visit to the vet who cleaned up the wound and stapled it.

Basically, I have to go away for 6 months so my wife is going to stay with her family (who have the jack russells) for 2 weeks whilst I'm away. During this time, we were thinking of getting a crate for the collie, covering it with a nice blanket or something and putting his bedding in there and setting him up a space in the front room where he will be put in his crate. That way the jack russells get to keep their run of the house and the collie isn't just left in the boot of the car all day or anything.

What do you think? He will be let out for regular pee/exercise and walking breaks and will spend the rest of the time in the bedroom upstairs when my wife is in there (night times etc).

I just don't want to seem cruel keeping him in that space, but I thought if we make it like his den, and a permanent fixture, he will learn that whilst at this house, that is where he stays unless being walked or going for a wee and stuff. We will get a larger crate than advised for his breed so he can get water and stuff in there too.

Is that a good idea? or not?

And yes, we have contemplated proper kennels, but it is an expense we can't afford each time we want to visit this family etc.

Many thanks!
Amnesia

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi All,

Since last visiting this forum, we have enrolled in professional dog behavioral expert and trainer, which so far has seen great results (in learning to walk and not go loopy on sight of other dogs).

This weekend we decided to travel with the dog to see family. The first family we saw, have a border collie and golden retriever (our dog is also a collie). They got on well and spent the day/evening together no problems.

The second family has 3 jack russells, and from the start they don't seem to get on with our collie. There was some growling and just pure tension between the dogs.

Anyway, the collie tried to get attention from the owner of the jack russells, the youngest didn't like it and before we knew it, the collie put the russell in its place and left a nasty gash on its head. A quick visit to the vet who cleaned up the wound and stapled it.

Basically, I have to go away for 6 months so my wife is going to stay with her family (who have the jack russells) for 2 weeks whilst I'm away. During this time, we were thinking of getting a crate for the collie, covering it with a nice blanket or something and putting his bedding in there and setting him up a space in the front room where he will be put in his crate. That way the jack russells get to keep their run of the house and the collie isn't just left in the boot of the car all day or anything.

What do you think? He will be let out for regular pee/exercise and walking breaks and will spend the rest of the time in the bedroom upstairs when my wife is in there (night times etc).

I just don't want to seem cruel keeping him in that space, but I thought if we make it like his den, and a permanent fixture, he will learn that whilst at this house, that is where he stays unless being walked or going for a wee and stuff. We will get a larger crate than advised for his breed so he can get water and stuff in there too.

Is that a good idea? or not?

And yes, we have contemplated proper kennels, but it is an expense we can't afford each time we want to visit this family etc.

Many thanks!
Amnesia
You would first if he has never seen or been in a crate, have to introduce the crate and crate train him anyway, done wrongly he may well not even accept it.
So that would have to be the first priority.

Even if he is crate trained before she goes to visit family, if he is left for long periods alone for most of the day apart from walks and toilet breaks and being in a strange place he doesnt know and knowing she is about and cant have access, plus he will know he is on exisiting dogs territory, (he will still be able to smell and hear them) then you could still find that he will not settle, become vocal and get stressed. Admitted he will be without the crate (I assume) and with her at night, he is still going to be alone and crated most of the day and part of the night. Collies or some of them can be really sensistive and get stressed easily. Also dogs really shouldnt be crated for extensive periods. You may find that it may have more cons then pros and you could still have problems even having him crate trained before hand.

The only way you are going to know is when you try it, but if you do have problems that could well likely happen as mentioned above, it could be a very miserable two weeks for the dog and everyone concerned.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
If he absolutely HAS to go to this house for 2 weeks then I'd use baby gates and leashes to keep the dogs separate and only use the crate when nobody is available to supervise. I think leaving him crated except for walks and overnight is too long to be honest. Not to mention I'd be concerned about him feeling trapped and defensive if the JRTs are going to have free access to this room while he's crated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.