Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cranberry juice for a cat?!?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emma-Jayne, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I was in pets at home today preparing for the new arrival. The very helpful man who was getting heavy boxes for me told me that giving cats cranberry juice once a week is good for their kidneys?

Has anyone heard of this before? I can't imagine the look on Moriartys face if I gave him a saucer of this:confused:

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

never heard of this before :confused:

3. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

never heard of this for cats its very good for us if we have water infections but ive never heard of it for pets :)

4. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Bizarre :confused:

5. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

A recent research proved that cranberry juice is as effective as placebo on treatment/prevention of urinal tract infections.

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

But that is for humans surely, not for cats ( and actually I would recommend use of D-Mannose instead of cranberry anyway )

I pulled this from my diabetic site.

'
    Cranberries

The cranberry industry is targeting pet foods as a source of income, with no concern for the effect of benzoic acid, or other issues involved that affect felines. Even in the attached Wikipedia site they mention, "Cats have a significantly lower tolerance against benzoic acid and its salts than rats and mice".

Benzoic acid toxicity in felines is well documented online at sites such as the following:
    Outbreaks of poisoning affecting 28 cats have followed ingestion of meat containing 2.39% benzoic acid. The effects were nervousness, excitability, and loss of balance and vision. Convulsions occurred and 17 cats either died or were killed. Autopsies showed damage to intestinal mucosa and liver. The sensitivity of the cat may be due to its failure to form benzoyl glucuronide and toxicity may develop with quantities greater than 0.45 g/kg single doses or 0.2 g/kg repeated doses (Bedford & Clarke, 1971).

Cranberry
    You should avoid giving cranberry or food containing cranberry to CRF cats - it is too acidic for CRF cats, who tend towards acidosis anyway. Cranberries also contain benzoic acid, which cats lack the pathways to metabolise. The active ingredient in cranberries is Mannose, so you could consider giving D-Mannose to a cat who is prone to urinary tract infections.'

So....I think it is yet another ingredient added to cat food to appeal to US rather than do the cat any good!

7. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Thanks Paddypaws.

How scary is it that this man is recommending this for cats. I'm glad I took his advice as a pinch of salt but others may not :mad:

8. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If you do see him again it may be worth telling him this - others may take his word as gospel without actually checking it out, just because he works at P@H.

9. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I'm going to go up tomorrow for some more bits for the kitties. I will make a point of tracking him down and informing hi of this. I hope he doesn't give it to his cats. :(

10. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Good for you! Sounds like this guy is crazy :eek:

11. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

I drink cranberry juice all the time (not for any reason other than I like it). Milly often helps herself and had no ill effects, probably as it is so watered down. Even for humans to get any benefit you need to buy the really concentrated stuff or take the capsules.

12. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

Went back in this morning and he wasn't there :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice