Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Craigelachie Gundog Training

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Old Shep, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Does anyone have any experience/opinion about this training?

I am attracted to the fact they say they use positive methods, but they also are very disparaging about treat based training and general obedience.

They are quite close to me-but that is not the main thing.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Take a good look at the dogs......................

I know nothing about these people but I'd like my dog to look a lot more animated and happy while training

Can you go and have a look at a training session?

3. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

too far, rona. Different country in fact!

They say a lot of positive things on the website-but the rubbishing of obedience classes and the use of treats smacks of arrogance to me. They are also extremely cheap!

£20 a day for home dog boarding with full training included seems too good to be true! Just for home boarding alone it is usually around £20 a day!

I also can't find anything on their site about qualifications or organisations to which they are affiliated (by "qualifications" I don't just mean paper qualifications; they don't seem to say anything about who they are, how many trainers they have and what their experience is)

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

5. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

sorry!

Too far to go and have a quick look!

Not too far to go for a weekend training.

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I have just read their views on using treats and in all honesty, I agree with it. All too often I see people shoving treats down their dogs throats without actually praising the dogs first, or letting the dog know exactly what it is getting a treat for, or the owners timing is so completely off that the dog would never understand what behaviour earned it a treat.

I also think that for inherent natural behaviours in certain breeds, such as sheepdogs and gundogs, the desire to do the job should be reward in itself, you shouldnt have to bribe it with bits of sausage.

Do I use treats myself when I train my dogs? Yes, absolutely but sparingly and it's not their sole reward. Do I use treats when training my gundog? No, I dont need to, but I do reward with a ball at the end of session.

Katwilson04 likes this.
  7. emskithompson

emskithompson PetForums Newbie

Hi!! Did you ever use these for there gun dog training lessons?
    I'm also thinking about giving them a go and wondered if you had any feedback.

Emma

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice