Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

crafters thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by redroses2106, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Thank you @Siskin that's exactly what I was looking for. I shall hit Youtube tonight and get some tips and head out at the weekend for some starter materials :)

Siskin likes this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I've just had a quick check on YouTube for beginners guides.... and there are loads, so I don't think you will have any trouble learning how to do either craft. Enjoy:Smuggrin

Doyley likes this.
  3. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

@Doyley I taught myself to crochet a few months ago and find it easier than knitting. Bella coco on YouTube is a great person to learn the basics from and you can start making pretty things straight away.

I tried cross stitch but didn't enjoy it but I absolutely love Prick and stitch. Which is paper embroidery.

Doyley likes this.
  4. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Ah great, I will look that up. I was looking on Youtube and also Pinterest last night for some ideas and tips and found some great stuff on there, so will look this particular one up.

I really like the idea of needlework because there are so many things to choose from, but for a beginner all of those choices can be a bit daunting :oops:

Thanks again for the pointers @Siskin and @PawsOnMe :)

5. Dimwit

Dimwit PetForums VIP

Since learning how to knit socks last year I have become a bit obsessed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Valanita, TriTri, debijw and 6 others like this.
  6. Siskin

Wow those are amazing. Having knitted socks in the past I know they are not easy especially turning the heel, so well done you

TriTri likes this.
  7. Siskin

IMG_0132.JPG
    I've made a start on the Virus shawl using a variegated 3ply cotton thread. Slow at the moment as I'm using the videos to do it step by step and I haven't crocheted for ages so I'm having to get back into it again. Realised that I do t hold the hook and thread properly as I was never taught the correct way, so I'm slower anyway. Still, it will keep me occupied and out of trouble:Smuggrin

Have you made a decision over what you are going to have a go at @Doyley?

#2167 Siskin, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Valanita, debijw and Sarah1983 like this.
  8. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

@Siskin Yes :) I visited a woolen mill with my Mum over the weekend and they gave me some great advice on starting out and pointed me in the direction of a couple of starter kits.

So I have now got myself a couple of small cross-stitch projects to get started with....although typically not had a second to sit down with them yet! :D I have been looking at how-to's on Youtube aswell (as advised here ;)) and those have been great at explaining the basics. I think watching someone do it, rather than reading instructions, really helps.

9. Siskin

Look forward to seeing the results.:D

10. Mems

Mems PetForums Newbie

I’m crocheting this blanket, just finished, now have to do boarder

11. Mems

Mems PetForums Newbie

image.jpg

Valanita, TriTri, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I crochet and cross stitch. Cross stitch is FAR easier to pick up imo, I didn't find there was a big learning curve like I did with crochet. Both can be incredibly expensive or reasonably priced but in the long run I find my cross stitch costs me less. I do huge projects from Heaven And Earth Designs and while each one costs around £100 to kit up each one will also take me years to finish. I've spent far more on crochet in the 2 years I've been doing it than I have on cross stitch in 13 years if I'm honest. You can pick up small kits for much less than £100 of course but I'm not a fan of pre made kits for various reasons (don't like aida, prefer 28ct to the 14ct that's usually provided, limited designs etc). Would recommend starting with a small reasonably priced kit though to see if you enjoy the hobby before splashing out on anything expensive. It'll provide everything you need to stitch it so no faffing around :)

Crochet I find less limited. I can make a blanket, I can make a scarf. A bear. A dragon. A jumper. The sky is the limit really with it. And if money is an issue there are quite a few places to get yarn at minimal cost. Pound shop yarn isn't the softest but it's not awful either. Marriners do a nice double knit for £1 per 100g ball which is lovely and soft once washed. Cost me £9 (and whatever postage of the yarn was) to make a blanket for myself out of it. On the flip side the blanket I'm making for hubby was something like £48 in yarn but that's not the £1 a ball stuff lol.

I actually took up crochet because I found I wasn't getting time to get all my cross stitch stuff out, spend a decent amount of time on it and actually relax doing it before my tiny human needed me. I can pick up and put down my crochet much more easily. But then as I say, I work on huge projects so it's a bit of a faff. I miss it though lol.
    Project I've had on the go for years now. Haven't worked on it in ages though and would love to get back to it.
    train of dreams wip.jpg

And my latest crochet WIP

12 point star.JPG

Valanita and PawsOnMe like this.
  13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

That's okay, there's no right or wrong way so whatever works :D My mother in law holds it all the same way she would with knitting, she can't get to grips with the so called "proper" way.
    I'm not the fastest either, I just enjoy the process.

Siskin likes this.
  14. Siskin

I am enjoying it again, just nice to be able to pick it up, do a bit, then put it away. I've got to grips with the pattern now and just glance at the chart now and again to remind myself what I'm doing at certain points.

I do like your round crochet wip. What's it going to be?

15. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Thanks, it's a blanket :) Jayda in stitches video, classic round ripple. Or 12 pointed star I think some call it.

16. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

And done.
    12 point star complete.JPG

Valanita, Lurcherlad, debijw and 3 others like this.
  17. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

That's really lovely, love the colours you've used :)

Sarah1983 likes this.
  18. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Another couple of my drawings, both for my niece as gifts for her two of her friends.

Great Grandma and Great Granddaughter.
    IMG_20171221_123040~2.jpg

Jake
    IMG_20180210_121952.jpg

A shawl I crocheted as a gift for my sister. Designed by a lady called Maryetta Roy the pattern is available online. It's called "Lost Souls"
    IMG_20180306_121445.jpg

Valanita, TriTri, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  19. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Wow!debijw you are incredibly talented! Well done. They’re fabulous.

debijw likes this.
  20. debijw

debijw PetForums VIP

Thank you TriTri :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice