Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

crafters thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by redroses2106, Nov 20, 2013.

1. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Thanks PickleRoo, it’s very nice.

2. TriTri

Hi DFP those are gorgeous. My soft furnishings teacher use to teach art and design at college and I remember her doing something like that and adding salt to get some special effect (and other things added). Do you know if this would take to brown paper? A friend, an amazing embroiderer use to print designs onto brown paper, scrunch it up many times, glue to vliselin (or a stiffened fabric used for curtain tie backs) using pva, add paint, then machine embroider over some of the top, turning her work into items, as you would with fabric. Yummy!

#2142 TriTri, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. DFP

DFP PetForums Junior

Hi TriTri, I made those with a marbling kit from Amazon, it was called Jacquard and contained all the chemicals and paints needed. For this sort of marbling, you have to mix up an alum water bath and dip the paper into it. It's called "mordanting" and it stops the paints sliding off the paper. Then you mix up a bath of "size", using some thickener called carrageenan, and pour that into a tray. Because it's slightly thicker than water, the paints sit better on the top of it and can be manipulated into lovely shapes with various implements. You then just lay your mardanted paper, when it's dried, on top for a second, then lift it off, rinse it in a plain water bath, and voila, beautiful - and unpredictable - marbled paper. :)

4. TriTri

Thank you DFP, I shall look into getting a kit to try. They are lovely.

5. TriTri

977CE61A-8DCB-4065-B850-4C85AD34445C.jpeg EBF9FBD9-D4CC-40B0-BC86-8045F68927E7.jpeg As there are a few cat lovers on here, anyone else out that got piccies of anything they’ve made their cats? Here’s my nieces jumper that I turned into a cat bed and a Mr Stripey extra strong catnip mouse I made, making the mouse extra tough for safety reasons and with extra catnip for a a very happy cat!!

debijw and PawsOnMe like this.
  6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Not been around for a while, been too busy with the rugrat to really get on forums much but finding a bit more time again now :) Love seeing everyones different makes.

One of my current works in progress. Whispers From the Past blanket. Think there are 9 parts to it, this is 1 and 2 done. Purple isn't as bright in real life, more of a pastel colour.

part 2 done.JPG

Virus Shawl I made my mum for Christmas.
    virus shawl mum.jpg

The Call The Midwife blanket I finally got around to making for myself after making them for every one else lol.
    call the midwife (2).JPG

Oh, and my first attempt at amigurumi. I call him Wonky Ted lol.
    wonky ted.JPG

debijw, Pixel, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Love the shawl and the call the midwife blanket, eautiful colours too. It's ages since I've done any crochet, you're beginning to wet my appetite:D

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I might be a bit of an addict lol. I have so many projects on the go at the moment!

9. Siskin

I've just been looking at the pattern and the videos for the virus shawl, it's recommended to use 3 ply (gulp). What did you use? I loved the wool that was used on the video but it's German I think and not available in the uk as far as I can see

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I used DK. Stylecraft Cabaret to be exact lol. I followed the Bella Coco video which uses the exact same yarn only a different colour. Which video were you watching?

11. Siskin

The woolpedia ones

Off to look at Bella Coca vid:D

12. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

Anybody ever put a scrapbook together?

OH mentioned how unromantic I am so for valentines day I decided I would make something.. a scrapbook! (type thing).

I have the book, I have photo's, I have sticky on bits, glue, glitter and marker pens..

No idea where to start !!

13. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Have a nosy on Pinterest, lots of ideas on there. I've been after doing one for awhile (also have the photos and the books ect) but have no idea (or motivation) to start, Pinterest is usually great for inspiration though. So long as your photos are in there I'm sure it'll be special for you both. (I'm glad I'm not the only one who has left Valentines day til the last minute! I'm making my card in the morning :Shy)

14. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

I never gave that a thought, I will check it out. Thank you!

It's so hard isn't it. When the idea of doing a scrapbook came to me, I thought "YES. Simple but really thoughtful". Well.. finding it DIFFICULT and too much thought is required! :Banghead

Why can't he just be happy with a card and some flowers like most people.... :confused:

Good luck with yours !!

PawsOnMe likes this.
  15. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Haha best of luck with it! Let us know how you get on :)

16. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

@MrJsk I agree Pinterest has quite a few ideas.

I saw one where they had stuck in a map onto one page with hearts around the places they came from (different countries in their case). You could stick a map in (print a relevant map off google maps) and put hearts around places significant to you both. Or stick paper hearts in those locations with a short description of significance of place.

Include things you like / love about him randomly throughout your scrapbook. Even little picture or notes of your and his annoying ways.

Perhaps a list of stuff you enjoy doing together and a list of stuff you would love to do together.

What are his favourite things, his favourite clothes, his favourite foods ? Any silly or common phrases or expressions that both of you say ? Wind all that through photos and a few memorable stories. You can even take some photos of "his and hers" favourite stuff (like a picture of one of each of your socks or underwear or .... well whatever shows your individuality or uniqueness in one picture )and print it out to stick in.

Favourite colours and songs. Do you have a favourite couple song. If so weave the lyrics through some photos or around the edge of a page or in a geometric shape like a spiral.

Just some ideas.

#2156 kittih, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    PawsOnMe, MrJsk and TriTri like this.
  17. TriTri

Perhaps if you have many empty pages left, you could write things like -a space for a photo of our next holiday together, or our next Xmas together etc. Just thinking that it’s something that can be added to later, if it has many pages. Got any seashells or any small items you have collected together, you can stick to the pages, or postcards you’ve sent one another etc? Favourite Cd or dvd cover or if you’ve some letter etc too big to put in, could you do origami with it? Lots of origami ideas online, even turning money into a decorative object like a mini shirt is one I recall seeing. Pressed red rose? Write a romantic poem? Got any pretty papers to cut heart shapes out of? Any fabrics to make thin decorative borders to pritstick to the pages?

#2157 TriTri, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    PawsOnMe likes this.
  18. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

@kittih & @TriTri

Thank you so much. Both of you have given me some GREAT ideas. I now have something to work with.

I like the idea of song lyrics and the "picture of next holiday/valentines day etc" on the blank pages!

Thanks again!!

TriTri and kittih like this.
  19. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Hi everyone, I wonder if some of you could maybe offer me some advice as a newbie to crafting?

I have tried a couple of different things over the past couple of years - mainly based around drawing and painting, however I am finding that very difficult now because it needs quite alot of space to work in......which I have no longer got.

So I am looking at giving some sort of needle work a go. I did used to knit many years ago (my mum taught me) only at a very basic level and I did enjoy it, but I would have to watch a couple of tutorials to refresh my memory lol, so basically starting from scratch.

I am really liking the idea of either crochet or cross stitch and I was looking for any tips or advice on where to start basically. Would you say that one is easier than the other for a beginner? Is there a greater cost in materials for one or the other? I only ask this because I can't afford to spend a fortune on equipment only to find out that I don't enjoy it or can't actually do it lol :D

I have looked around quite a bit, but there are so many various needles, yarns and allsorts out there, my head is bamboozled and I have no idea where to start :confused:

Any tips or advice welcome :)

20. Siskin

I started with cross stitch by getting a kit which has all the threads, material, needle and pattern. Usually there is a mini tutorial written out, but it may well be worth having a look on YouTube for a beginners guide. Cross stitch is easy, but you do need to make your cross in a certain way so that your finished work looks good. Don't get too finer material, the material is called Aida cloth and fineness is measure by 'count' which is how many threads there are over a measured amount. The higher the number, the finer the material. So look at counts of 16 and lower as I think 18 will be too fine for a beginner. Get a small kit and see how you you enjoy cross stitch and then go from there.

Crochet is easy once you've mastered the various stitches. I learned originally from a book although there was a craze at school for making crochet blankets where I learned the basics. Again YouTube will be your friend.
    In theory crochet will be the cheaper of the two as you could just buy a couple of balls of cheap wool for practicing, then unpick it (easy) and make it into something once youve understood the stitches.

Both don't take up much room, but you will need good light for the cross stitch and probably an embroidery ring to use when working on your project.

Hope this helps

TriTri and Doyley like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice