Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

crackly chickens!!!!

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by Rhiannon, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

hi guys,
    just been round to a mates house who has just re homed 4 ex batts. they trundled off into their coop as it went dark and we took a peek inside as they settled down for the night.
    I noticed one of them had very crackly breathing, like when you have a cold and have phlegm in your lungs.
    I asked my freind how long she had been like this, she said since she got them on saturday and that she thought it was the chicken snoring as she seems to be healthy and unaffected otherwise.

I had a chicken who had the same noisy breathing and it deteriated shortly after, not eating or drinking and died.

Is it possible for chickens to snore??? what do you think this is and can it be contagious?????

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

cant anser your question as dont know, however i had chickens with colds there breathing was funny sounding and they even sneezed and blew bubbles through there beaks

3. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

now theres an image!!!!!!!!:lol:

4. shells

shells PetForums VIP

isnt it :lol: couldnt believe it i had to go and wipe there beaks clean with a hankie now that was a chalenge:lol:

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

couple of mine had a cold through the cold spell they are ok add a suplement to there food for peice of mind

6. shells

shells PetForums VIP

what did u add as when i asked vet about it i was told dont worry just makesure they have clean watter . so werent helpful at all. Also during the moult i asked if theres anything i can giv to help my girls and again was told just clean watter
    thanks x

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

if it gets to bad try these baytril or Tylan only available from vet in UK.

i added a crushed garlic clove to there water they dont tend to drink loads but they will drink it

or
    Ropadair (oregano oil extract) and it works really well for cold and sniffles. The bottle is of a concentrated liquid so you only needs a few drops in the drinker. It also seems to keep the water fresh and palatable for the chooks and I feel it gives them a boost when they are at a low ebb

also could any of these be causing the problem?

, damp? dusty bedding? mould?

hope that helps a bit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice