Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

cp gave us a horrible choice today

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by warren, Feb 8, 2012.


Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

    warren PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi my name is warren and i had noticed our cat had been having trouble weeing since this morning so my partner decided to take him to the vets where he was diagnosed with crystitas and would cost 700 pound to have treated which we havent got because i,m currently out of work and my partner voluteers , We told the vet this ,he said the cp maybe able to help but only if you sign the cat over to them the only other option is to have him put to sleep,hes two nearly three years old and is in good health apart from this so theres no way where putting him to sleep so we agreed to this ultimatum and we feel as though we have been forced to hand him to them.Our kids are devestated the little describe him as her brother.
     
  2. Cloudygirl

    Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1,643
    Likes Received:
    53
    Don't you have a local PDSA vets that could help with fees?

    Also have you tried ringing round other vets to see if there is any variation on prices.
     
  3. AngelEyes92

    AngelEyes92 PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    30
    Have you tried the PDSA?
    I assume that with you being out of work, you are claiming housing/ council tax benefits?? If you take the forms stating you recieve HB or CTB, you can register with them. I've never used them but as far as I'm aware, they only ask for a donation?

    Alternatively some vets will offer a payment plan. Maybe you could ring the local vets and explain the situation and hopefully one will offer you a plan.

    (Also what is CP?)
    x
     
  4. Ian B

    Ian B PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2011
    Messages:
    1,072
    Likes Received:
    13
    CP=Cats Protection.

    Ian
     
  5. bluepersianlover

    bluepersianlover PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    4
    im so sorry warren to hear this is must be horrible for you and the family. Can you not get a relative to rehome him and give him back to you? I know not totally pc however this is the problem with this country no help for those who need it.
     
  6. warren

    warren PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    We was to feel this was a on the spot decision that my partner had to make,the cat is now at the vets,we have just been in touch with the rspa they said they will pay some towards,just tried the pdsa but there closed,we,re going to ask the vet tomorrow if he,ll take the rest in istalments
     
  7. Bella Beagle Mum

    Bella Beagle Mum PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    Messages:
    887
    Likes Received:
    33
    £700 pounds to treat cystitas:eek::eek::eek:

    I don't have a cat - but that sounds a bit expensive to me!! I would be ringing around for a cheeper quote and go grabbing my cat back!!

    Poor you and your kids - I hope you get this sorted out!!
     
  8. bluepersianlover

    bluepersianlover PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    4
    I must have been so difficult for your partner. I really hope they will pull together and help you. Keep us updated.
     
  9. AngelEyes92

    AngelEyes92 PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    30
    Let us know how you get on. :)
     
  10. warren

    warren PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    I will keep you all posted will the vets is now closed but they will be getting a phoncall first thing to let them know that were going to fight to get our cat back.Thankyou for all your kind words.
     
  11. raggie doll

    raggie doll PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2011
    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    48
    Yes ask for instalments and if you go to a pdsa you should be able to get the treatment
     
  12. Kiwi

    Kiwi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    Messages:
    3,235
    Likes Received:
    55
    Warren - am gutted for you. Keep fighting xx
     
  13. Jiskefet

    Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    Messages:
    12,366
    Likes Received:
    3,402
    This is a crazy fee the vet is asking, there must be cheaper vets, so I would most certainly call some other vets and ask what they would charge, and if you can pay in instalments.
     
  14. Ianthi

    Ianthi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    4,208
    Likes Received:
    110
    Agree completely. This is an extortionate sum to treat cystitis. What on earth are they planning to do? Even if he blocked up completely relieving it shouldn't come to this.
     
  15. Grace_Lily

    Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,916
    Likes Received:
    47
    Really sorry that you are in this position Warren :(

    What treatment exactly is your vet planning? One of my cats has oxalate crystals, and when it flairs up he has a jab or two that clear it up and special food. The vet treatment is circa £50.

    My other cat was totally blocked up (FLUTD) 7 years ago and basically had to have a new hole made so his urethra was shorter. This cost over £1000, fortunately he was insured.

    Do you receive housing benefit or council tax benefit? If so, the PDSA should be able to help you out. Might be worth looking into insurance for the future too, it's a great safety net if you're unable to put aside enough for emergency treatment. Keep us updated.
     
  16. Ianthi

    Ianthi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    4,208
    Likes Received:
    110
    Gosh yes though I hope this isn't the case ( repeated blockages maybe) given this sounds like the first episode. I find this vet's attitude rather callous to say the least, particularly if he was willing to put a three-year-old cat to sleep rather then offer a payment plan for treatment! :eek:

    So Warren I would be looking elsewhere now!
     
  17. warren

    warren PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Were not sure what kind of treatment he needs the vet just done a examination told us the cat had cystitas and that it would cost between 5-700pounds to treat,the way the vet explained it to my misses and me on the phone was very black and white and that he would be staying there for the next four days and then given to the cats protection because it was either this or have him put down.Also this is the first time this has happened he seemed fine two days ago
     
  18. Grace_Lily

    Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,916
    Likes Received:
    47
    Completely agree, with our cat the operation was a last resort after the other interventions had failed. If the vet is planning this surgery it seems more than a little odd that they wouldn't offer a detailed explanation to the owners and try other treatments first.


    Personally I would be up there in the morning for A) a detailed explanation of the treatment plan and B) to take the cat to another vet for a second opinion. The attitude of your vet stinks, I'm afraid.
     
  19. Jiskefet

    Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    Messages:
    12,366
    Likes Received:
    3,402
    Spetter had cystitis, and they had to put a catherer in to empty the bladder. They kept him overnight to see if he would pee by himself after this and they examined the pee for chrystals, and he got an antibiotics treatment, too.
    Total cost 180 euro.
     
  20. DoggieBag

    DoggieBag PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2012
    Messages:
    2,768
    Likes Received:
    77
    Your cat may not be able to take the p***, but your vet seems to be able to do a good job of it :D

    I would go and look for a cheaper alternative/opinion.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice